three children

LSB

We've very recently had our third after a long(ish) gap - having a new born again is quite a shock. I was wondering if anyone with three had any good tips to pass on - like how to do drop off and pick up with an unpredictable new born who could be asleep (great) or awake and drizzling (not so great) or needing a feed (very un-great)? Or bath/bed time? Or after school activities? Or anything, really! Also, if anyone in a similar situation wants to meet up and compare notes/have a moan, do PM me. Thanks!

I've got 3, when I had my 3rd my other children were at school - one in reception and one in school nursery (9-12).

Routine was the key for me. Baby was fed and changed before the morning drop off, again before nursery pickup at lunchtime (and then would be put straight down for a nap when we got home again), and the same again before school finished at 3:30pm.

The rest of the time she pretty much just got dragged everywhere. Ballet lessons, music lessons etc. Bath time involved perching on the edge of the bath feeding baby while supervising the other two. Bedtime, either baby was put down first, or if she was unsettled she would feed while I did stories etc for the others.

You'll be amazed at how quickly you adapt. It's crazy, loud, messy and tiring - but worth it :)

make sure baby has had a feed before school drop off, but on basis that the proper breakfast feed will hapen when you are back. Third baby fits in with the others and is much easier than fitting in the second one after only having precious first borm to deal with.

I have 3 but also have a nanny we kept on throughout so don't have as many war stories this time (except for the weekends or when my husband was away....shudder).

But in general, the only way I survived was having newborn permanently in a sling.

My older ones get up early so we had lots of time in the mornings. I would make sure they were ready by 8:00 or so, dressed and fed and then let them watch TV while I forcefed baby before school run and then sling. Also not averse to feeding pretty much anywhere! Also just had to ignore crying sometimes, but it was much less of a problem if she was in the sling.

My #3 was a fairly settled baby (though didn't sleep), which makes a huge difference. #2 was a crier and it was hell.

The sleep is too shocking for words. My youngest is nearly 18 months and I'm only just sort of starting to recover!

Good luck! The really tough phase passes quickly! It was the fussy evenings that were a killer. I'd gotten so used to mentally checking out and drinking wine by 7:30 pm on the dot!

Thanks for all the helpful comments and PMs - it's great to know that it gets easier (quickly! although time does NOT seem to be flying at the moment). To complicate matters I haven't been able to bfeed number 3 despite the first two being quite straightforward feeders, which means that it's more difficult to do top up feeds before school runs and feed to settle him etc. But means that feeds are very quick, so some pros I guess.

I'm with Pickle. Routine, routine, routine.

My 3rd (and 4th) were twins who were born a few weeks before my eldest started reception. I would never have got to school on time if the twins hadn't been in a routine. Maybe bottle feeding will make that easier?

The worst part was definitely the period between school/nursery pick ups and bed time. Sometimes it felt like everyone was having constantly crying. Tired, hungry, all needing my attention at the same time. But it doesn't last forever and for a while you just have to accept that they will cry more than you would ever have let your first one cry, that the older ones will watch more tv than you would like, you won't be hosting many play dates for a while and your house will look like you've just been burgled.

But it will be fine and it will get much easier before you know it. Good luck x

It's good to know there are a few of us brave mums of three out there and all coping. It's definitely hard work,but also worth it. Getting three out of the house on time in the morning is always challenging and yes the witching hour or two hours post school, including the pickup, is exhausting and normally at any one time has two or more of us melting down.

Hope it's going ok LSB and that you are finding your routine that suits you. I second all the other mums comments, there are tough times and for me I have to be organised, prepared and a little bit strict with them all from time to time to get them to where we need to be and a bit selfish at others - i.e. dumping the smallest in his buggy when he really really doesn't want to be in there but I need to get to school drop off etc for the other two.

I try to get them all involved in helping each other and they know that there's certain routines we have to stick to on school mornings etc.

Patterns will form and fall into place. I still find certain things I just can't manage with 3 logistically, they are all young still, 2-4 -6 and sometimes what the youngest wants to do the other two don't and vice versa so we have to compromise and i can't always take them places alone such as soft play that has a difficult older section as the youngest will invariably try to climb and cause mayhem!. But you do what you can when you can and plan other events for when the other half is around etc.

I do it without any childcare other than school/pre school and a couple of mornings of nursery for the little one, no childminder/nanny or any family around at all. I take up any offer of play dates from friends to get a bit of breathing space and plan carefully for when we host playdates!.

Its hard but rewarding. Good luck and hope more than anything you are enjoying your time with them. x

• 2 months later...

Hi

I know this is an old post but I wondered if anyone had any bedtime tips as that's the part I'm struggling with. Previously my two would have bath and story together and be asleep by 7 but now the new baby is here my almost 5 year old won't stay in bed, she is up and down like a yoyo until 8 or 9 and it sometimes escalates into huge temper tantrums. Should I maybe put my 2 year old to bed first and then my 5 year old? What do other do? I can't put her in front of the TV as that makes her hyper!