Professional declutterer

I am admitting defeat and need some help to declutter my house which looks like it belongs to a family of 10 and not the actual 3!

Has anyone used someone that doesn't cost toooo much that they can recommend please?

Many thanks

Yes I can recommend a friend of mine; Sarah

See her website below. She is lovely and great at her job. She's also local

Do call her and chat so you can see for yourself

FreeYourSpace De-cluttering and Organisational Services

www.freeyourspace.co.uk

the other thing that might help you is the art of tidying by marie kondo.

cheaper, and very doable. i followed her plan very loosely... eg she does things by category so you are supposed to do all clothes at once for example which i didnt do as i dont have much free time.

it changes the way you think about stuff. so maybe will help you not to re-clutter!

good luck, its very satisfying!

Thank you! Unfortunately I've realised I need someone there to motivate me otherwise I am very easily distracted and before I know it another day has gone. Doesn't help that I have a partner who has more stuff than he will own up to and a 4 yr old who could open his own toy shop. I'm going round in circles with frustration, need to be more ruthless! My mum has helped me and we got loads done but don't want all her visits to be about "the clutter"!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am Sarah the declutterer (from Free Your Space)! Do give me a call if you want to have a chat about some possible options. I love working with young families having had 3 myself I know what it's like trying to keep on top of it all. Whatever your budget, I'll be able to help you tackle your stuff- and usually it's surprisingly enjoyable!

Convex Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> the other thing that might help you is the art of

> tidying by marie kondo.

>

I just want to thank you so much for mentioning this book here, which I'd never heard of before (the full title is "The life-changing magic of tidying" by Marie Kondo).

I looked it up on Amazon, where it has rave reviews, ordered it immediately, and it's absolutely brilliant!

I think I might finally get my house into order after reading it! I can't recommend it highly enough.

I've bought two copies for other people already :)

There are many books which claim to be "life-changing", but I think this one actually might be, for me.

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

I'm a huge fan of the Maria Kondo approach too. I'd love to try her advice fully, but with 2 littlies it's impossible. However I've been inspired to take a Kondo-lite approach and its made me think about our 'stuff' differently. It's been great, I've had 8 huge bags leave our house for charity or the tip and I've got loads to go. And my house looked pretty tidy before.

Some of her thinking is a little fluffy, but it's easy to get past that to the essence of her message. And its easy to put her advice into action.

I can't believe I'm recommending a book on tidying! I used to be cool!

tidying might not be cool but its very satisfying.

there is also a website called flylady - i couldn't get on with it but she does have some brilliant tips. e.g. setting a timer for 5mins (or 3mins, or whatever you have) and pick a 'hotspot' and tidy it till the buzzer goes off. i have a few hotspots i.e. junk-drawer type areas and i was amazed at how quickly they cleared.

then you also have the tip where you decide on a number and just go through the house grabbing stuff. e.g., i choose, 12, i go through the house and stick 12 things in a box and chuck them out.

when you have no time, you can just do these things when the urge takes you or when you have literally a few mins.

my house is still messy but its a lot clearer and i don't worry about it so much as i know i don't have boxes and drawers full of crap as I've chucked most of it out, plus i don't buy so much nowadays.

very freeing.

ps glad you liked it Sue, sorry i didn't spot your comment earlier.

There's another book which is good for parents- From Frazzled to Focused by Rivka Caroline (mother of 7 so has definitely earned the right to give advice!) She spoke at the APDO conference last year and in person and writing comes across as very gracious and down to earth.

If you want to find out about other professional organisers look at http://www.apdo-uk.co.uk/ APDO is the national body for Professional Organisers

I'm planning on running more workshops & am developing an online course for decluttering for those on a tight budget as I'm aware not everyone can afford ongoing support. I'm also speaking at the Nunhead WI next January. Do let me know on [email protected] if you're interested in any future events.

lollol Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am also a Marie Kondo fan! The book will cost

> you less than having someone come in and in any

> case you have to do it yourself!

Very true- and many people do tackle decluttering on their own or with a sympathetic friend/ relative. However I am kept busy with lots of people who need help to get started or tackle a job which is overwhelming- I love nothing better than someone reaching the point that they don't need me.

Some of my clients have ADHD or other difficulties with getting organised and I give lots of support & advice around systems which work in those circumstances.

If you're looking for more DIY inspiration take a look at http://www.becomingminimalist.com/about-us/

Lots of articles about simplifying (and 'minimalists' come in all shapes and styles)

I do often quote Marie Kondo :)