Testing for Cat Allergy in Kids

Does anyone know how best to go about getting my daughter tested for a cat/dog allergy? She got very itchy eyes once when visiting my sister, who had a cat. Both my kids are at the age when they'd love a pet and a cat seems the most practical option but obviously we need to answer the allergy question first.

It's not an allergy that is causing a problem at this point in time (as we don't have a cat, she may not even be allergic - it could have been something else) so I don't know if the NHS would see it as something they need to address. Or if they did how long it would take. But it sounds like the do-it-yourself options are a bit hit and miss.

Has anyone else dealt with this before?

I've never had allergy tests done, but I am highly allergic to cats.

I grew up in a house where we'd always had a cat, and my experience is that you get "used" to your own pet. We have a cat (he's 8), and for the first few weeks after we got him I was a sneezing, runny eyed mess, but pretty quickly it stopped. If I visit my Mum, I find I have the same problem with her cats.

Unless your children have asthma, which could be triggered by an allergic reaction, personally I would say don't worry too much. A few weeks of anti-allergy eye drops may be all that is needed for your daughter.

I think you can get private allergy tests done so maybe Google that. Wished my mum had done it with me before we got a cat: I get asthmatic as a result of the allergy (don't have any asthma at all otherwise) and ended on a nebulizer at hospital. Cue tears all round as the cat had to be returned.

My mum then got 2 cats as soon as I left home, presumably as a preventative measure to ward off any cjhance of my return!

We got two cats about a month ago. My son, who has very mild asthma (they don't seem to diagnose asthma til about 8 years and he is 5 so it is not officially diagnosed) had an awful cough about a week after getting them that turned into a mild asthma attack. He was put on steroids for a week and is now better. I did ask the doctor to send him for an allergy test as cats seemed the obvious cause, however, the doctor said the NHS wouldn't do a test unless it was for a life threatening allergy e.g. Nuts. He said if my son was REALLY allergic to cats then he would have still been unwell when exposed to cats again. He said at this time of year allergic reaction could be down to a myriad of things (most obvious one being pollen). Or a combo of things. He said sometimes people use the label 'allergic' when actually they are just 'sensitive' to e.g. Cat hairs.

So in terms of your question, you'd need to get a test done privately. I would say the best way to see if your daughter is sensitive is spend more time around cats/dogs, but perhaps not in summer, when it could be something else exacerbating it too. Good luck! It's hard with kids as they become so attached to the idea of having a pet that you want to make it happen, but not at the cost of their health! For us, the cats stay for the time being ;-)

My daughter has had at least one attack that seemed very much like asthma (but is too young for asthma diagnosis) which meant being admitted to King's for treatment over the course of a few days. Allergy testing, including cats was suggested but we declined. We didn't think our cat would cope being rehomed, so we just manage the situation to minimise contact and our daughter takes anti histamine daily. We won't get a new cat, but there's no real problems with our current cat if we are careful.

I guess the NHS will only allergy test for cats if there's a real risk to your health, but they do do it. I'm sure you could see the same consultant privately if you want to get the test done.

Both my son and I have had a private test done on Harley Street (London Allergy Clinic) and it was covered under our insurance if you have medical insurance.

I and my toddlers started wheezing and coughing non stop when we moved into a temporary rental whilst having our house renovated and it turned out to be severe cat allergy - we had had our cats for about 5 yrs by then but I hadn't really noticed it in our own home. The rental house was much smaller and carpeted everywhere so my symptoms then came out big time.

We sadly had to rehome our cats which was really upsetting for the whole family but it was the right decision for our family.

Thanks for all the replies. I feel for those who have had to rehome pets due to allergies - that must be so hard. My sister got a cat and then developed awful excema but lived with it for years so I've seen the problems cat allergies can cause.

Looks like private tests are the way to go as any reaction to date has been minor which, from the sounds of it, the NHS won't be interested in.