Quooker taps - are they worth it?

We are shortly about to get a new kitchen and we're contemplating whether to get a Quooker hot tap. They are very expensive but I like the idea of hot water on demand as well as getting rid of the kettle (which I consider clutter!). Does anyone have one in their kitchen? Do you love it? Or do you regret having one fitted?

We moved into a house with a Quooker tap about 6 months ago. If it ever breaks then we would definitely replace it, I feel it is an integral part of our kitchen and makes family life so much easier. I'm not even a massive tea drinker, but I use it regularly for:

- Filling saucepans and putting on hob - so you can boil things instantly and you don't need to wait for water to heat up

- Leaving tricky washing up to soak in hot water instantly - the water is literally boiling so it cleans stuff really easily

- Making up bottles of milk for my toddler

- Making teas/coffees instantly for friends (obviously a bit superficial but I do get looks of envy from heavy tea/coffee drinkers who don't have a Quooker!)

Its also nice as I don't have a kettle cluttering up my kitchen counter (yes I know they are not that big but its one extra thing!).

No idea exactly how much Quookers cost, I think they are about ?1k? I think they are a really useful kitchen gadget and I use it several times a day so I would say it is worth it.

Just to add as well, the water is PIPING hot, at the mo my kids (3 and 5) can't turn it on but in time they may well be able to. So you'd really need to illustrate to your kids if you have any, how dangerous it is (some of my friends look rather scared at how hot the water is)!!

We recently moved into a house with one and we use it a bit for water for saucepans although my husband still uses the kettle for tea. I find it a bit scary to be honest! If you are interested in getting rid of your kettle then I can see for lots of people it would be brilliant.

I didn't realise they were ?1k!

We are getting one and yes the price is nearer the ?1500 mark - very impressed with the demonstration one in in kitchen shop and they do have a clever device incorporated that blows cold air around the water coming out the tap - this means that whilst you would still scald yourself if you held your hand under it, splashes won't hurt you.

It's a built in safety feature which works well.

I like the fact they look like a conventional kitchen sink tap and supply hot, cold and boiling :)

We've got a Franke not a Quooker but I guess it's the same idea. I happen to think it's fantastic and don't regret the outrageous ?1k price tag! As the others have said, it's great for cooking and I hated the sound of the kettle bubbling away - it was so loud.

We're moving now and it's my partner's number 1 on the to do list..!

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread but it seems that there's a few options out there. We're looking for one that offers both hot and cold which I see Quooker now do. But then there's also Insinkerator, Franke and Grohe.

Does anyone have positive or negative feedback on any of these that they'd like to share?!

We have an Insinkerator and love it. It doesn't spit water like the Quooker and (I think) has a bigger reservoir. The only minus with ours is that the water is slightly cooler than freshly boiled water from a kettle so cups of tea go cold faster - not really a huge problem though!

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ?1500 for a tap that spits or doesn't give you

> boiling water seems a bit of a swizz compared to

> under ?100 for a (very good) kettle.

Yep - I've been following the thread and don't get it either ...

HP

I know - I can't believe I like it either but we don't have a very big kitchen so we have saved work surface that would have been taken up with a kettle and for some reason it's quite nice having instant hot water without waiting 3 minutes for a kettle to boil! Also the reservoir only tops up with as much water as you have used and then keeps it hot unlike a kettle where the tendency is to boil more water than you need then let it go cool then repeat (well that's what I always did anyway). Still does seem an odd thing to like so much but I can't help it...!

Zedd Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I know - I can't believe I like it either but we

> don't have a very big kitchen so we have saved

> work surface that would have been taken up with a

> kettle and for some reason it's quite nice having

> instant hot water without waiting 3 minutes for a

> kettle to boil! Also the reservoir only tops up

> with as much water as you have used and then keeps

> it hot unlike a kettle where the tendency is to

> boil more water than you need then let it go cool

> then repeat (well that's what I always did

> anyway). Still does seem an odd thing to like so

> much but I can't help it...!

Lol - horses for courses. You are quite persuasive...

HP

we bought our quooker from Benchmarx when we purchased our kitchen. As we saved quite a bit on the kitchen units, we splashed out on a boiling water tap and a drinks fridge.

I can't remember how much it was exactly, but definitely more in the region of ?500 than ?1500!

We could obviously function without it, but it's really handy to have boiling water instantly for cooking and tea. It's a luxury item, and shouldn't be seen as anything else. Although, it does save a fair of space on the worktop (which, ironically, is taken up by a coffee machine... priorities)