ED Harris boys - use of the Rye

I really want to try and get an idea of why they are unable to use the Rye, especially considering their tiny footprint and lack of outside space.

This school will be an option for my children but the thing that puts me off the most is this, after all it is a sports academy! Perhaps there's an option of getting it changed..... Thoughts please?

I'll leave it to people who remember the history (which I do not) - as far as I remember it was related to local objections to the school so I will leave it to others who remember the argument. As a parent of a child in the school I feel it is discriminatory when, as the OP States, other schools use it.

Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Could you give a synopsis edmummy? Seems pretty

> unreasonable given the number of other schools

> that use it (no objection to that), but it's

> Harris boys 'back yard'....

We went to look round this school for our son when looking at secondary options & were told by the teacher who showed us round that local residents had objected to the boys using the Rye. Why this can't be overturned with pressure from school & Lord Harris etc I do not understand. Why shouldn't they use it?

Couple of earlier thread on it - if you can be bothered to pick through the threads to find the 'park' bits.

Always seemed pretty mean-spirited to me personally that these boys were in effect told that they couldn't use the park! Unlike most others...

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,289472,page=2

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,26226,page=10

HP

I had no idea about this, outrageous! Happy to support a campagin too to overturn this decision. I am going to start by contacting James Barber about this right away. I am not politically involved (so no flaming from anti lib dems please) but I must say that James seems like a man who cares deeply about his community and I have nothing but praise for him in the dealings that I have had with him to date. He has always been incredibly helpful and supportive with regards to community issues.

I'm not sure whether there may be a difference between using it for supervised sports activity and perhaps it being used as a playground extension, which could be more difficult and raise lots of issues. Certainly using it for sports activity seems totally logical and discriminatory if other schools make use of it. Although there would be a responsibility on the school to use it responsibly and not have a detrimental impact which is out of balance with that caused by other schools.

But you would think a solution could be found!

I didn't follow this in detail at the time, but, you need some clarification before setting up a campaign.

My memory is the school agreed not to use Peckham Rye Park for sport. Effectively that is the grassland dip immediately opposite the school where the Peck used to flow.

The school is free to book sports pitches on Peckham Rye Common and Peckham Rye Park Extension.

John K

It is outrageous.

My recollection is at the planning committee - I was on the committee - the Friend of Peckham Rye objected to the possibility of the then proposed Harris Boys school having any use of the park. Some residents supported this.

The committee approved the planning application but some members of the committee - and this is the hazy bit ward councillors as well - wanted a planning condition to block any park use.

I proposed but the committee didn't take it up that IF Harris Boys were allowed to use the marked sported pitches then at weekends access to changing facilities at Harris Boys be made available to footie clubs,etc. That they contribute to the drainage system then needed. Win win for everyone. Sadly peoples prejudice against having the school blocked a sensible solution. All told Southwark council could have saved several hundred thousand pounds.

So we have the situation other schools bus pupils to the park to use the open space. Harris Boys bus their pupils to other sports grounds. Anyone would think we didn't have climate change.

The obvious solution is that one set of pupils is bused to sports provision and Harris Boys be allowed to book sports pitches and walk across the road - take classes out where it would benefit educationally being around green space - biology etc.

If you think this is daft then email the Labour leader who could change this - [email protected] and please cc me. I know Harris Federation Chief Executive is seeking a meeting with the Labour leader about other matters. Hopefully this will also be discussed - so this is a really good time to raise the issue.

Thanks James for filling us in, that really is ludicrous! Do you think there is a possibility of changing it though as it formed part of the planning process?

I will definitely be writing to Peter John to raise this.

Kate

It might be worth contacting Renata as well as it falls in her ward rather than James B's though I am sure James will help too.

midivydale Wrote:

> I had no idea about this, outrageous! Happy to

> support a campagin too to overturn this decision.

> I am going to start by contacting James Barber

> about this right away. I am not politically

> involved (so no flaming from anti lib dems please)

> but I must say that James seems like a man who

> cares deeply about his community and I have

> nothing but praise for him in the dealings that I

> have had with him to date. He has always been

> incredibly helpful and supportive with regards to

> community issues.

midivydale Wrote:

> Intexas... As I understand it schools are free to

> book these pitches, apart from Harris who where

> "barred".

If so, the decision document can be traced and the council employee identified.