Where did you get your kitchen from?

We're getting a new kitchen and we've looked at all the local suspects (Bells, Howdens, Ikea, London Kitchen Shop and Intoto in West Dulwich) and I'm now completely baffled. Has anyone had a particularly good experience and what kitchen make have you gone for?

There's a great thread I've already found on here but it's more general kitchen advice, any specific makes/shops you could big up would be brilliant. I can't tell if it's worth the money to go for something a bit more high spec... they all look quite similar to me!

I will be ordering a new kitchen from Dulwich Design Kitchens in the next couple of months. I found them very helpful and knowledgeable and loved the preliminary design. If you decide to visit, make sure you book an appointment especially if you are going on a weekend.

I'm also looking at getting a new kitchen. How is Dulwich Designs price-wise? I'm not expecting it to be as cheap as Ikea but how does it compare to In-Toto, for example?

Also - once they've done the preliminary design, are you obliged to buy a kitchen off them? Or do they charge for this part of their service?

Thank-you!

We got an Ikea skeleton - because they're great! And there's a Swedish company called Picky Living that does nothing but doors for Ikea kitchens so you get a designer looking kitchen in any colour under the rainbow without spending a fortune - highly recommend! We used micro cement on the worktop (which is just mdf underneat) and people are constantly stopping and staring through the window...

Good luck!

We put a DeVol kitchen into our old house and I loved it. We decided to sell up once we'd finished renovating and the kitchen was one of the things I was sad to leave behind. The customer service was excellent from start to finish, we were very pleased with the plans (they put together 4 or 5 variations) the fitters were top notch, the cabinetry quality was great and it all looked beautiful. It wasn't a budget option but it wasn't extortionate either and we certainly felt we got value for money. We made a couple of trips to their beautiful showroom in Loughborough but they have since opened up a shop in Clerkenwell so you wouldn't need to travel now.

I wouldn't even use Dulwich Design Kitchens and Ikea in the same sentence. Opposite ends of the scale price wise etc I'm afraid. We used DDK and they were fantastic but they are higher end of the market supplying Hacker German kitchens.

Hi Redmeghan -- I love the look of this site. Do you speak Swedish? I can't see an English translation icon and have no idea what they're saying! We're not replacing yet (hopefully next year) so I'm only browsing at the moment but I'm definitely interested how you ordered from them...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Dollylonglegs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Redmeghan - I bought a Haecker kitchen from Cambriddge, but I have no one to instal it in London.

> Who did you use for the installation - anyone

> you'd recommend?

thanks and Merry Xmas to everyone

We got our kitchen units from John Lewis, and saved money by getting everything else online. E.g. The oak worktop alone was less than ?2k online versus the John Lewis quote of about ?6k. We realised the kitchen suppliers make money by bundling in expensive extras without telling you the price upfront. John Lewis tried to sell us a sink and tap for ?500 each!

• 2 weeks later...
Ours is a Howdens. Wanted white gloss with no handles and like what they had. Have customised it with a beautiful African red wood and stainless steal worktop. Accessorised with Moroccan tiles. Love it and doesn't look like a bog standard kitchen.

Morning All,

I own Avalon Kitchens and Interiors, a local independent kitchen design, supply and fitting business. I supply great quality mid range kitchens and offer a personal design service. I'd be more than happy to visit, discuss your requirements, draw up and amazing 3D plan and provide a quotation. All free, with no obligations and no hard sell - promise! Give me a call on 07968377560, or email [email protected]. Check us out on Facebook (the website isn't quite ready yet).

I work with trust worthy tradespeople and can offer all kinds of building services, from full on kitchen extensions to tiling, so you wont' have to go hunting around for all the trades needed to finish your new kitchen.

Many thanks, Charlie