Lanes midwives leaving the DMC?

I overheard some memembers of staff at the DMC talking about the amazing Lanes midwives leaving the DMC this year! I can't believe this to be true has anyone else heard of any mutterings? It was quite hard to hear them properly in the waiting room but it sounded like they were being asked to leave rather than choosing to.

Yup, September I think (though everything is a moveable feast in the NHS? KCH is moving all the community teams around to offer a more 'equitable' service. I should think the Lanes midwives feel very sad - the Lanes has been such an amazing and integral part of the ED community for so many years now - I know that I feel sad just thinking about it :(

DMC = Dulwich Medical Centre on Crystal Palace Rd.

The Lanes are an amazing group of midwives who have worked out of the doctors surgery for about 7 years now - they were just setting up when I had my 2nd child. Prior to that, Erika was (I think) the only midwife connected to the surgery.

SW, does this mean they are being disbanded, or just relocated/open to anyone?

The plan is what SimonetheBeaver has outlined apparently. Oakwood will be the only ones to stay in SE22 and the others will cover different areas of the boroughs that serve Kings. So it will be more hospital based care unless you get referred to one of the community case load teams. Not sure when it will take place though.

Sorry - was at work and so couldn't reply. Yes, Simonetheb has it - that's the plan I heard. I also heard a rumour that the caseload teams will be caring for women on a priority basis i.e social or medical need - in which case you won't be able to just ask for a referral because that's the gold standard of care and it's what you'd like to have (a reasonable request I think!), but it is a rumour, so I can't confirm how much truth there is in it?

Am sure that those of you on their caseload already are secure as would guess from Sept it wil be new bookings they'll take (it would be daft to be trying to take on ladies close to delivery). Am sure calling them will be the most straightforward route to finding out what to expect.

• 3 weeks later...