Local legend Claire Kedves @BF Protest

Met Claire at today's 'Keep midwives at the breast feeding cafes' protest outside Kings. Many of you will know and have benefitted from her work as a lactation consultant at Kings, she was a God send to us when my son had tongue tie. She retired in March and Kings have not replaced her(?!)

Awful news. Claire is indeed a legend. Her skill, expertise and most importantly warmth and compassion were what helped me get through those early, tongue-tied weeks of hell. She is also funny.

I hope Kings can be persuaded to renew their breastfeeding support. Well done for going to the protest x

I love her! Her commitment to bf is amazing but personally I will always remember her compassion with which she comforted me when I was unable to bf for medical reasons. She sat with me late one night, for over an hour, telling me how my little boy would be just fine "on the bottle".

Amazing woman

I agree Claire is absolutely amazing and I am so grateful to her for helping me through the first very difficult weeks of breastfeeding. I was desperate by the time I saw her and it took one session for her to sort us out.

Then again seven years later when I was suffering from recurrent (almost monthly) mastitis whilst breastfeeding number 3 I called her again in desperation and she pinpointed the cause straight away. I haven't had mastitis since. Not only that but she called me a week later to check how I was - despite being in the last weeks of work and obviously being very busy. That was so kind.

Every new mum should have a Claire to help them through the tricky early days!

Thankyou Claire....very much.

There was at least one other infant feeding midwife at KCH when I needed help with my daughter nearly 5yrs ago so three is at least one person continuing her work at the trust, but know even when I was working at KCH there would often be recruitment freezes to try & help towards budget cuts (thus the chancellor talking about keeping public pay pretty well frozen means keeping more in work has a hugely hollow ring to it).

Claire is a total legend though, had a one-to-one teaching session with her as a newly qualified staff nurse (no one else in the dept could attend) which was amazing (if just a bit daunting!) and the level of care I saw her giving parents was inspirational.

Severe breastfeeding problems and undiagnosed PTSD, Clare was the most caring and supportive person I encountered. She wasn't able to solve all my problems but she gave me the strength to persevere when I was in a very low place. This was 14 years ago but she is always in my thoughts. I hate to think of new mothers not having access to the compassion and support provided by this amazing service. Without services like this, how are we going to fulfil WHO guidelines on breastfeeding.

• 5 years later...