Charter School

Sol Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Really? 10 teachers in a year seem a lot

It depends on which teachers are leaving. If they are senior management or established class room teachers who have been at the school for many years then that's significant.

A school like Charter will have many teachers - maybe 70 or more. There will be many who are young and ambitious and quite often they will have to move to another school for promotion. They will hopefully be replaced by similar - I'm sure a school with a good reputation like Charter would be sought after by young ambitious teachers.

OP do you know what type of teachers are leaving?

As I understand it, 10-15% staff turnover annually is about average, although it will inevitably involve some years higher and some lower. Turnover rates are higher amongst younger teachers, and in London compared to the rest of the UK, so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions just based on the numbers.

Jan12345 Wrote:

> My understanding of the roles involved is:

>

> Deputy Head,

> Teacher of English / KS5 Coordinator

> Drama Teacher

> ICT Teacher

> Director of Learning - Access & Inclusion /

> Economics Teacher

> Maths Teacher

> Teacher of Science - Year Leader Yr 11

> English Teacher

> PE Teacher

> +1 other - was non-teaching - not sure of title,

> was Head of Communications (I think)

Another thing to note is that generally teachers are not allowed to leave mid-term (and are often discouraged from leaving mid-year particularly if they are in a senior role). So most teachers will leave at the end of the summer term.

i think it is a lot not least because great staff are leaving.

assistant head in charge of behaviour and g&t, head of history, head of year 11 and a fab physic teacher, head of year 12 and a fab biology teacher, deputy head of science and a fab chemistry teacher, the amazing heads of history and languages. Never before have so many truly brilliant teachers left and yes I do think linked to new head.

Jan12345 Wrote:

> I'm not sure the 153 workforce figure is

> representative of teaching staff:

>

> This data is based upon the November 2013 School

> Workforce Census

>

> Headcount of all teachers in a school 104

>

> Full-time equivalent number of all teachers in a

> school 94.6

>

>

> All the teachers that have left are full time -

> looks more like 10% (that I know about from my

> child).

>

> 5 of my child's GCSE teachers have left - that

> seems abnormal - but it could be random chance.

>

> I'm sure they will be able to recruit good quality

> replacements, but it does feel like a spike in

> numbers leaving.

And not all the staff leaving are teachers

Sometimes I think all this publishing of data involves parents far too much in the workings of a school and makes the schools job much harder, particularly when everything is analysed and discussed places like this

I hardly ever post but wanted to comment that this really is completely normal. Good London schools have very high turnover. A lot of the staff you mention will be leaving for promotions because Charter employs ambitious, good teachers and trains them well. Some are leaving London and this is another reality of inner London schools - most teachers can't afford family houses anywhere near schools like Charter so there comes a point where they move back near family or out to suburbs beyond a comfortable commute. There is nothing sinister going on!

Stateeducation Wrote:

> jimthebuilder Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Nothing sinister! I think you will find the

> new

> > head is behind why so many are leaving

>

>

> I would completely agree with this view. He is a

> joke. Completely ineffectual

Then that does sound sinister! Natural churn is one thing, people voting with their feet is another!

But 10 staff leaving a large comp at the end of the school year doesn't sound excessive to me.

Movement also creates movement for some people. By that I mean, when some see colleagues moving on to promotion or other new beginnings it makes them redress their own situation and give them a push into being more proactive for change.

Also I always thought a benefit of teaching is that it is a highly mobile profession both in terms of promotion and geography, with summer being the obvious time to move on.

• 2 weeks later...
Well compared to other inner London schools which I've known 10 leaving at the end of the summer term really is a normal number Unlike other jobs, teachers generally only move at the end of terms and usually most in the summer. Charter is lucky in having no problem attracting very good staff, but that does mean they tend to move on and up quite quickly. My experience of charter staff is that they enjoy working there and moves are almost always for promotions or because it's difficult for them to continue living close enough and have a family.