2 year old not talking

Ever since I had my second baby 6 months ago I've been worried about my toddler who is now 2. I have never been worried about him before, he has done all the things he is "supposed" to do until he became a big brother at 19 months.

He doesn't talk yet, at all - he used to have a few words but haven't used them for about 6 months. He says "no" and "daddy" and "maaaa" for mummy. But that's all. I've been told that his play is too repetitive by a speech therapist and I'm not really worried that he is not ok, that he might have autism etc...

He is very shy and doesn't interact much with other children. He gets excited when he sees kids running around in the park and runs after them and thinks that they are chasing him. He enjoys climbing, swinging,

Running around. He used to be obsessed with cars but not so much any more. In the last few days he has started son grg this thing, he picks up books and stares at the cover... For minutes!

He is very cuddly and affectionate...

We've got an appointment to see another speech therapist but I'm worried sick that he is not ok. Could it be a regression because his got a baby brother? Has anyone else found that their toddler sort of stopped developing for a few months?

I should add that we are a bilingual family and he hears two languages at home.

Hi, just a note to say that although I believe delay in speech can be a sign of autism etc. (I'm no expert) it can also be completely normal. Both my niece and nephew (who are sister and brother, two years apart and bilingual) hardly spoke a word at the age of 2. I remember my nephew rarely said Mummy and used to say Mo instead of No on his second bday. They are now 6 and 4, very chatty, bright and articulate. My own kids (also bilingual) were on the other hand very precocious with their language & used complex vocabulary from a very young age in both languages (but in turn did not walk until 15 or 16 months). So if I was in your position I would have it looked into (a friend with an autistic child said the Health Visitor picked it up at the 2 yr review) but do not panic as it probably is entirely normal, as different kids develop at different paces. All the best x

My second girl was about two and a half before she started talking. I took her to the drop-in speech therapy clinic at Kaleidoscope in Catford (185 bus from Forest Hill or park in Aldi!) and they were great if you're worried and don't want to wait for your appointment with the speech therapist.

my little boy was late speaking too, had about 20 words at 2 but not that much more than that. Have researched the subject to death and my advice is DO NOT GOOGLE.

I know it is very tempting but try not to.

In short, I spoke to a SALT professional and to the health visitor who said that as long as you see progress some kids just take longer than others... He is now 2.5 and every day the sentences he says get a bit more complex.

The SALT lady at Bessemer Grange where they run speech and language workshops said that at 2.5 they expect them to say 2 word sentences and sometimes because we compare we expect them to say/understand a lot more than they actually are

Give it a bit of time but if you are nervous look to the sessions in local primary schools (it is not long till term time starts again). I am sure he will just do it in his own time, which believe me I know is frustrating but sometimes there is nothing else you can do about it.

I don't want to worry you unduly, but I would request a referral to sunshine house for an autism test. My son was diagnosed in April at 2.4 months and basically had very similar behaviours. He too became a big brother and I too was told by many how their friends etc didn't talk until they were three. It helps soothe you, but Unfortunately it isn't normal for a child to not have a number of words by 2. Early intervention with autism is key and my son has started to thrive from the number of therapies. Good luck.

It's also worth having his hearing checked out. my nephews speech was delayed and it turned out it was because he was hard of hearing. He could hear a certain amount but missed out on lots too. Once he got his hearing aids his speech came on in leaps and bounds (but my sister did have to work with him to help him catch up). I imagine all is well but good to rule things out so you can be more relaxed about it (and if he does need any support best to get it sooner rather than later). Best of luck.

Hi there, just to reassure you that my son at 2 had delayed speach and displayed similar behaviour to yours. I self-referred him, through a children's centre, to see the speech therapists. Now at two and a half, his language is great and he is a sociable happy little boy.

However, I would definitely see another speech therapist, talk to your health visitor and request a referral for sunshine house (as suggested by another poster). Not that there might be anything, but just to reassure yourself and they will continue monitoring him if they think there is even slightly amiss.

Your son is learning two languages and is now dealing with another younger brother, he's got a lot on his plate!

• 2 weeks later...

I came on this forum just under a year ago with a similar worry with my daughter. She basically said mama, and BA! over and over until she was 27 months. I was getting so worried (and I think overanalysing certain behaviours) but then it all totally changed - she's caught up with her peers and overtaken others in the space of 6 or 7 months.

She also got a sibling when very young - she was 16 months when I had my son.

Most wouldn't advocate tv as an aid to learning to talk I know, and I didn't really allow my daughter kiddy tv, but I did get her a dvd of children singing rhymes (I broke after a few months of life with two tiny children) and funnily enough that seemed to really help. It was as if the desire to sing was greater than to speak and it really got her started (and no, my singing all the time didn't work in the same way).

My husband (an only child) also did not speak until over 2 years of age, when he did it was a full sentence and also in Polish - his father's preferred method of communication ( First words were Daddy has a moustache) after that he spoke in English in sentences to his English mother. He still is bilingual although none of our children speak Polish

Is it really his speech that is delayed, or his vocabulary? Bilingualism does not cause true speech delay, but bilingual children may take longer to display a range of vocabulary. Hope you get some answers from the evaluation. If there is a problem, catching it early is best. Sounds like you're doing a brilliant job with your LO. xx