Video baby monitor recommendations?

sophiar

I did lots of research and finally got the Summer Infant BabyTouch Plus Digital Video Monitor (pricey, but on sale on Amazon). It's been great - camera can be repositioned from the receiver as well. Reception not amazing but good enough for our purpose.

We have the Samsung SEW 3037. It was expensive but we bought it on the basis on some very good reviews. Maybe we were just unlucky, but we've not found it all that reliable. The screen quality and functionality etc is great but it's a pain when every so often it disconnects and you have to sneak into baby's room to reset it! To be fair I don't know if this is a problem with this model or just our house. The microphone has now packed up too so we'll need to buy another monitor for baby number two...

We have a Motorola one - its now been delisted but there is a new model. It has 2 cameras so can scan 2 bedrooms with the same monitor. Its great and has become more invaluable as they've got older and moved into beds (can monitor the faffing about at bedtime)

Could someone explain to me the benefits of having a baby monitor? I will be a first time mum soon and wasnt going to get one. I live in a flat so i figure i will just hear if baby wants me and can keep an eye out that way. I can see the benefits if baby is a bit older and sleeping in a separate room. But would be helpful to understand from someone who uses one.

Most of the monitors now adays use wifi and there is loads of new evidence that this is really bad for brain development.

Many thanks, Christina

You would have to pay a lot for wifi monitors. Most of the regular monitors don't use wifi. Regardless, if you are in a small flat you don't need a monitor at all. A video monitor can help anxious mums (like me) but it isn't essential. I like to see that when my baby is crying it's just a wee whinge and not their leg stuck in the cot bars or something. It saves me having to go in for every cry. If I know he's ok, I let him have a wee whinge and go back over. You can buy monitor apps for your iPhone if you want to use occasionally. For example we leave my husbands phone on a shelf in the bedroom and then we can see footage when we are out on a date night via my phone. We use this rarely but it's just extra comfort when using a babysitter. Again, not essential at all.

We only had very basic baby monitors for our children, and purely because from our front room when the TV is on you can't hear noise from the upstairs rear of the house, where our nursery was.

If you're in a flat or smaller house I don't think they are necessary, unless you really feel you need reassurance.

Agree re removing rhe claw from the bars, read same article.

We have a Motorola MBP41. Love it so bought another for baby 2. Not cheap but lucky to get on offer both times. Currently half price in Argos http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchMobile?storeId=10151&catalogId=25051&langId=110&searchTerm=Mbp41#customer_reviews

As someone said, means you can see if they really need you (or just lying there shouting for you trying it on). Also v useful for babysitting as if you're lucky to have a sleeper the babysitter can see all is ok (sometimes silence is worrying!)

I can't imagine not having it now. This one has a really large panning range so in future could use for a whole room to watch kids when playing for example.

Downsides:

Goes off when microwave on (so just move it)

When sat on a surface it can't look down easily as it can't see over the base (we just get clever with propping up when we visit (at home it's attached to wall so no issue))

No temperature of room indicator (had on old one so shame to lose that info)

Please could you send me the link to the article as I am interested to read it. I am very cautious so would never put the baby near anything which could potentially harm him but can't see how his sleep suit could be caught on it, particularly since it is a deep cot bed and the claws are made of small round bobbles which hug the top bar of the cot.

Hi klh,

I want you to know I'm not judging. I'm absolutely sure you have your child good and safe. I wasn't sure of the circumstances and the story I read was horrendous. This poor mum had a hook on the outside of the cot where it seemed totally fine. The baby had tried to climb out and its pjs snagged on the hook outside the cot. The article is here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11825506/Ikea-cot-warning-after-14-month-old-girl-strangled-by-pyjamas-that-catch-on-hook.html

• 2 years later...
I have had good luck using the Axis M10 series of cameras for such remote baby monitoring applications. They work well with SecuritySpy. These cameras have available features such as two way audio, an integrated PIR sensor to detect motion even in total darkness, and a remotely controlled (white) nighttime illuminator, which works pretty well on the area directly in front of the camera.