Coil fitted

bonsai

So I have decided that family complete this is the contraceptive route I want to go down. And then I switch on woman's hour and I hear just how very painful the procedure is and how a local anaesthetic is now recommended? Any one care to share their experience - on here or by pm. And has anyone had it done with an anaesthetic and if so, where?

Many thanks in advance.

I had a coil (copper IUD) fitted before I had my daughter (~10 yrs ago). I did find it fairly painful, but I don't know how much a local anaesthetic would have helped. My understanding is that the pain is from the dilation of the cervix and associated muscles. This type of pain can be difficult to mediate with local anaesthetics. Curious to know what type and how much anaesthetic they use?

For me the pain was like the worst period pain you can image, but the pain slowly faded over the course of ~12 hours. I think it helps if the person fitting your coil is very experienced. Because I was nulliparous (never had a pregnancy) at the time, my coil was fitted by the most experienced nurse at the gyne clinic. She was fairly quick. (I also thought having the coil removed was very painful. However, the pain didn't last at all. I was 100% fine, no pain at all, immediately after the coil was removed.)

So of course when I wanted to have another coil fitted at 6 weeks postpartum, I was a little anxious. Actually it was fine, not painful. The cervix is much more pliable after child birth. However, that doesn't last forever... my friend had her children in her early 20s, then decided in her early 40s to get a coil. In the intervening years she had done a lot of yoga and pelvic floor exercises. On her first appointment, the nurse was unable to get the coil fitted because her cervix was so tight. It turns out that after about 10 yrs (depending on age/health), your cervix will return to a tight nulliparous-type state, making it much less pliable.

This was so traumatic for my friend, that she had to be rescheduled with a more experienced clinician and given a dose of valium pre-procedure. She was successful in the end, so I hope that doesn't put you off! She's really pleased to have had the coil fitted.

All of this is reminding me that my current coil is now expiring, and I want to change from copper IUD to Mirena IUS... If there is local anaesthetic on offer, I'll definitely have it. But I'll still get a coil even if there isn't. Hope that helps. Feel free to PM for any more details. xx

I had a Mirena coil fitted 2 months ago - some very brief discomfort on insertion but the whole experience was fine. I think it is probably more painful if you have not been through childbirth. I certainly would not have needed local anaesthetic. And the benefits are great - 1 day periods anyone? I had mine fitted by a GP at my group practice who does coil fittings.

I would liken the pains of having a mirena coil fitted as similar to bad period pains. If you can get your Dr to give you a prescription for mefanamic acid (prescribed for period pain) and take it both the day before and after the fitting you should be ok. I have had a mirena coil for over 10 years now and have not had any periods at all in that time. An additional benefit of the Mirena is that it can also act as HRT, given that I am of a certain age I recently had a blood test carried out to find out whether I was menopausal(as obviously can't rely on when I had my last period). The results came back that I was post menopausal so managed to sail through that without even noticing!!

Similar to Carrie & Sanity Girl, mild discomfort and bit crampy.

Do wonder how much anxiety and fear precipitate pain in this sort of thing and am surprised

that the tone would be taken in a feature about it that it is so painful as could be setting up a self-fulfilling-prophecy to those about to have it done... would suggest looking into visualisation and positive thought before local anaesthetic as if (literally) tense, no amount of anasthetic would help.

Hi,

I had a coppper one fitted a few years ago, I did find it very painful during the procedure and for a couple of hours afterwards. I was told that I had a tilted uterus which may have contributed to this.

But the worse thing was that I was then sent off on my way from the GP straight afterwards and fainted whilst walking home in the park! it was very scary. My advice would be after having it done ask to remain lying down for 10 minutes.

I would still say that the pain and discomfort was worth it as I really didnt have to worry about contraception for the duration.

It is very important to keep a close eye on it though, i do know someone that had a very nasty infection from hers.

I had a mirena coil fitted earlier this year, and wish I had done it years ago!

Mild crampy pains for about 12 hours, and it was slightly more uncomfortable than a smear test during the actual fittings, but that's it.

Since then I've had no periods and no PMT. Life changing!

I haven't had children and have had a Myrena both fitted (brief pain but little after effects) then removed after five years (a fortnight ago) due to no fault of its own and it was pain free apart from a short sharp uncomfortable tug. It was great having no periods and I am now pretty much post menopausal with very few side effects apart from the odd hot flush and a bit of dryness easily sorted through a topical cream. It was fitted to deal with extremely heavy periods and was a Godsend.

I had mine fitted at Dulwich Medical Centre, Crystal Palace Rd. Can't fault the professionalism and experience of the lovely female doctor they have there, she is excellent. I think they run a coil clinic on Monday mornings, you need to book a few weeks in advance.

I've had a mirena coil for the past 10 years and would echo the life changing effect it had: from very heavy periods to nothing. I too have sailed through the menopause, with just a month of a few hot flushes. I did have period pain after insertion and felt a bit wobbly. But with some pain killers and a day in bed, you should be fine. Highly recommended.

I've had both copper and mirena coils fitted, pre and post kids. Def uncomfortable before childbirth but was recommended to take Ibuprofen before fitting post baby and result was just very mild discomfort. Removal was quick and painless both before and after kids.

I had a copper coil fitted in my early 20s due to my stubborn refusal to take hormones. The pain was there from the start, and continued and continued. I often felt like I would pass out from it. On one occasion the pain was so bad that I ended up in hospital for exploration for an eptopic pregnancy.

My periods were incredibly heavily and painful. If I hadn't been living overseas with limited access to family planning then I would have had it removed.

I would never recommend having one.

10 years on and more than one GP has questioned the suggestion to have that coil, which is classically recommended to woman who have already had children as otherwise it is known to be very uncomfortable.

Maybe childbirth will be a doodle now!

The idea that coils are not for use in women who have never had a baby is based on old guidelines. This has now been surpassed by new research which concluded that both copper coil and Mirena are safe and effective in nulliparous adults and teens. xx

I used to have a Mirena coil, and having it changed after five years was probably the most excrutiating experience of my life. But I used the coil for around 10 years altogether and thought at the time that it was wonderful, especially when my periods stopped completely. I was always aware of the huge number of horror stories which many women reported with side effects, but didn't suffer from any of these. But to all the women who are using a Mirena coil or considering having one, please please please read some of the growing body of evidence that these can contribute towards causing some types of breast cancer. When I was diagnosed with breast cancer, around two years after my coil was removed, my surgeon was very clear that there are definite links between the Mirena and breast cancer, and since my diagnosis, I have come across several other women who have used a Mirena coil and then gone on to develop breast cancer. I would give anything to be able to go back in time and choose a different form of contraception.

I didn't feel a thing having it fitted and a tiny twinge having it removed. I was amazed as I'd been anxious about it having heard friends' stories. I wish I'd done it years before. I had it fitted a few weeks after giving birth which I think makes it easy given openness of cervix. I wasn't going to due to pain fear but the Dr reminded me I'd just handled childbirth, fair point and absolutely no comparison between the two!

that's an interesting article on the Mirena coil, which I've seen before. My daughter recently wanted to get a more permanent form of contraception rather than taking the pill, which didn't agree with her. She discussed her options with our GP, the Marie Stopes Centre, and the Margaret Pyke Centre, none of whom would consider fitting her with a Mirena coil, given my treatment for breast cancer. They were also aware that I've had genetic testing and do not have a faulty gene, so are clearly taking on board the links between the Mirena coil and breast cancer.

interesting thread. have a copper coil myself and periods definitely heavier and more painful. apart from mirena coil, what other kinds of contraception have people tried for those of us who don't want any more kids and prefer not to take the pill if possible? is there anything else?

I had a Mirena fitted a year ago after also deciding NO MORE KIDS!! It was about as painful as a smear test and I then had cramps like period pains for a few days after. I also spotted for a month, but believe this is very unusual. Frankly all this short-lived discomfort was nothing compared to the beauty of exceptionally light periods thereafter, and not having to worry about contraception at all. And if you've already had 2 kids you can def cope with that level of pain!

As Pickle says, went to the DMC contraception clinic and the doc who does it is great.