Mid-year primary school intake/experiences

Hi

Having moved out of the ED/FH area to experience life further afield, we are deeply unhappy (am not liking my new job and husband's commute means that he hardly sese the kids), so we are seriously considering coming back to old territories to bring back some happiness in our lives. The problem is that we have a 4.5 y old who is due to start reception this September. He is currently in an independent pre-prep in Kent. Any experience of mid-year school intake in state/private schools?

We have a house currently rented in FH so could move back there, bearing in mind that we moved out as we outgrew that house or would consider renting anywhere else nearby.

My 'good' head tells me to wait for the following summer to come back and my 'selfish' head tells me that we have been in that new area for a year and we don't like it so another year could be long and coming back in January and start afresh in 2016 could be a possible challenge for the family.

So if anyone has been in this situation and had to move, not really knowing where their child would end up in school, please share your thoughts/tips/concerns.

Thanks in anticipation

That sounds like a plan, and if you think it will work for you, go for it.

The only note of caution I would add would be that, if you want to insert your child into the state sector, you need to find a school that has spaces come September or January (or whenever you send him to the school). The schools with spaces are likely to be a mixed bag of schools that are not full for a variety of reasons (geography is one - there are schools that are not full due to the adjacent estate being demolished, for instance). It's also worth noting that, if a state school has a space in a particular year group, they *must* admit. Church schools in particular will try and avoid this, particularly if you are not of the right religion or religious at all, usually giving spurious reasons for non-admission. Stick to your guns and they will inevitably cave in. Ring the school in question, ask if they have vacancies, and double check this with the LA (some schools pretend not to have vacancies). The LA will also be able to give you a list of schools with vacancies if you explain you've moved to the area recently. You can then check this at your leisure and see which school fits for you.

You're probably aware, but your child doesn't legally need to be in school until the term following their 5th birthday. So it sound like you would have at least the Autumn term to look at various schools and find him a place, or at least add his name to a realistic waiting list.

The vast majority of schools would offer you a place if they have a vacancy, they are funded on pupil numbers so it's in their interests to have a full school role. Faith schools offer a mix of foundation and open places, so you won't necessarily be refused if you aren't a regular church goer.

I'm not sure you'll be able to get a straightforward answer on vacancies. My understanding for state schools was that you can generally only apply for mid-year or interupted intake places up to 4 weeks in advance, and that vacancies can shift notably in short spaces of time (people moving house, transferring in/out for various reasons). So, a vacancy at the time of application is not a guarantee of a place.

Would love to know if you hear back anything productive from the LA. We are considering a work-related move, and will need to move schools. I want to move in Dec/Jan. DH wants to wait till next summer. Hmmm.

> The vast majority of schools would offer you a

> place if they have a vacancy, they are funded on

> pupil numbers so it's in their interests to have a

> full school role.

You really would have thought so, wouldn't you, but it often depends on things like how you present to the Head. Very sad, but true.

> Faith schools offer a mix of

> foundation and open places, so you won't

> necessarily be refused if you aren't a regular

> church goer.

SOME faith schools offer this (mainly C of E ones). Some are 100% religious.

Oddiegirl3, are you more concerned about the actual process (researching, form-filling etc) involved in moving schools, or the social effect that moving/delaying moving will have on your family?

For our situation, I'm really not concerned about finding a place in a good school, as there are many. We've just got a long list of things that we need to tick in priority along the way! Humph.

Regarding how quickly (or painlessly!) you can move, what notice will you need to give at your current job? Will you need to find a local job? Will you need to give notice to your tenants in FH? Are there suitable rental properies near any of the schools you might want?

Argh. Moving was so much easier pre-kids.