Bcg vaccination

My daughters health visitor has recently advised her that her two week old son will not be offered a BCG vaccination due to a "national shortage".. As Southwark is deemed to be a high risk area this has obviously caused some concern.. Has anyone else come across this ?

I remember it being mentioned before, but personally I wouldn't worry. TB is spread through prolonged close contact with someone who has the disease. From the NHS website:

Although it is spread in a similar way to a cold or the flu, TB is not as contagious. You would usually have to spend prolonged periods in close contact with an infected person to catch the infection yourself.

For example, TB infections usually spread between family members who live in the same house. It would be highly unlikely to become infected by sitting next to an infected person on a bus or train.

So unless your daughter is living with someone who has it, or perhaps using a nursery for her baby (unlikely at 2 weeks old), the baby will be fine.

I work in the field of TB- it's started being manufactured again so should all be back on track over next 3-4 months. I'd remind the Health visitor/GP that your grandchild will need to be done nearer that time though as there's likely to be a lot of catching up to do.

As pickle said though- pretty hard to catch.

Rest assured that HV teams/public health will have records of all that haven't had the jab &

once vaccination is stocked (was due to arrive this month) will be running extra clinics & am sure appointment letters will be sent to all, but this has been a problem for several months & am sure those nearer to 1yr will be targeted first.

It's also worth noting that Southwark is only just over the threshold to be classed as at risk. If you lived down the road in Croydon or Bromley (I think) then it wouldn't even be offered. Many of my not-so-local mum friends didn't even have the option of an infant BCG, but that was between 6 and 2 years ago so it could have changed.

As other people have said, unless you are in an at risk demographic, then you probably don't even need the vaccine. I can also reassure you that you will be chased to have it done before the baby is 1. Southwark is very good at making sure people are invited for their vaccinations.

My son's BCG jab site went quite gross and took months to heal. When I took him to the GP he said that often happens and also said that he thought the BCG is unnecessary and also quite ineffective as vaccinations go and he wouldn't recommend doing it. Which was annoying to hear after we had had it done. I'm not at all against immunisations but I probably wouldn't have had it done if I'd known.