Flu jab for year 1 and year 2

Mrs TP

So my youngest, who is in year 2, has come home with a permission slip from school to sign for the flu jab. I've been very diligent with all jabs to date but I'm really not feeling mindful to consenting to this, probably because I have two elder children who have got by without this.

Am open to a massive discussion. What do others think about the rights and wrongs of this latest vaccination?

I remember having proper flu as couple of times as a child, it was horrible and left me with chest infections that lingered for months. My youngest had the vaccination last year (a nose spray rather than a jab)glad to hear my eldest will be able to have it this year too.

With reference to TE44's comment above, last year there was a "drift" where the main strain of flu going around turned out to be slightly different to what was predicted by the WHO etc. this is actually pretty rare and I'd say understandable given that the predication has to be made well in advance of flu season to allow time for enough vaccines to be made. Last years jab still protected against some of the other strains that were going around, but over all it wasn't as effective as normal.

Personally it doesn't put me off getting the jab, I'm asthmatic and I've had it for years, most of the time the prediction is pretty good but even when it's not spot on, I'd rather have protection against some strains than against none.

Predicating uptake of flu vaccine on not previously having had flu in the preceeding years is not an immunologically sound course of action, due to the variable nature of the virus.

Children are at a higher risk of complications such as pneumonia. Plus they continue shedding live virus much loner than adults, even after symptoms resolve. So they have a high potential of infecting others.

Of children with serious complications, about half have no underlying health conditions. Which is to say that healthy children are about equally at risk of flu-related serious morbidity or mortality.

This is a fairly easy read: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/832632.

xx

Because I don't want him to have the flu spray .

I wouldn't have it ( and I had awful flu for the first time ever when I was pregnant with him so I know what it's like ) . I don't feel I have to give my child a jab for every single thing going and he has had enough jabs .

Flu jabs and chicken pox jabs ( I had chicken pox twice and measles ) , where will it stop ? Colds ? Stomach aches ?

Freedom of choice . By all means others can take it up as I know some people like Kez have asthma and underlying health issues etc but I don't think anyone should be pressured into having it done.

I think it's always a good idea to get vaccinated if you are in an environment like a school, especially if it's a live virus vaccine. There are people who can't have live vaccines (immunosuppressed for example) and they rely on not being exposed to the disease in the first place. But then, one of my children is in a high risk category for 'flu so that dies bias my view a bit on this vaccine.

Good reminder to get my nearly 3 year old vaccinated - they do the spray for free at the GP. She had it last year. My younger child was premature and susceptible to respiratory problems so I'm getting the jab and will be getting my husband to have one too. Want to ensure she is protected as far as possible.

devsdev Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Follow up on this thread - does anyone know where

> can I get the nasal spray for an 18 month old? GP

> won't do it. Haven't tried Boots/Sainsbury yet but

> will do. Thank you!

Under 2 yo, you will have to get the jab, spray not suitable. NHS is only offering it to 'at risk' babies. You should be able to get it at a private clinic such as South London Travel Clinic. xx