anyone know anything about oboes?

bawdy-nan

My son, who is 10, plays the oboe at school. It's been a tough ride but he's persevered and is now doing ok. He's only just now preparing to take his grade 2 exam. We've been extremely lucky to have had access to lessons in school and, more importantly, access to an instrument. He'd like to continue once he leaves primary school and we could probably find a way of paying for lessons if he didn't get any kind of scholarship support at secondary school somehow but our main problem is the instrument itself, which we have to return once he leaves primary.

When my daughter left primary we were, with a bit of research, able to find a cheap but ok clarinet that her granny bought for her (under ?120) and she has lessons at her secondary school for free. Looking around I see that the cheapest student oboes are around ?800 and more likely ?1200. Because it is a "rare" and unloved instrument there isn't really much of a second hand market. This puts the purchase, even with any of the VAT reduction schemes way, way, way beyond our means.

I suppose, if we'd really thought it through we might have resisted the school's decision to have him play the oboe over one of the more popular (cheaper) instruments but we didn't.

My question then is, does anyone know what, if any instrument it makes sense to transfer to from learning to play an oboe - eg - is the transition to clarinet a sensible one? Or is the playing (blowing?) technique so different that it makes it confusing and more difficult and it would be worth looking at something entirely different - recorder / guitar / whatever...

Anyone with any advice?

I started about the same age and *cough* amount of years later still play regularly. It's a horrible hit in terms of the cost at the start but it is totally worth it. And you get many more opportunities to play, as there is much less competition than for clarinet or flute.

If your son is really enjoying it, it would be worth asking around to see if there are any rental schemes out there. Howarths are the leaders for oboes, though John Packers down in Taunton are good too.

The embrochure is quite different from clarinets, though I played sax as well as oboe for a while with no particular problems if you're looking at a change of instrument. Though he will need to learn how to transpose. But a lot of the fingering is the same.

PM me if you'd like any more info. Sadly I don't have a spare one lying around, but I can ask round on the oboe net if helpful.

Thanks so much Yak. I'll take a proper look at those websites. He's extremely keen to continue; I think it's because after so many years of determined practice it is starting to sound like music! I love the sound of the oboe (now!) and I would like to help him to continue. At first glance it looks like there may be some finance options that might make it a bit more possible ...

ah - yes, that's something to explore, thank you

simonethebeaver Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ackerman does rent-to-buy on instruments, and I

> assume they're not alone. It's scary pricing,

> isn't it? I have a lovely clarinet that cost a

> fortune back in the day and I look back and feel

> very sorry for my parents having to shell out for

> it. I was shamefully oblivious at the time.

Well done to your son and it is lovely that he is keen to continue.. from the instruments I played I couldn't imagine swapping instrument by that age but I know you have to consider all options, sorry you are faced with this dilemma... some ideas:

Contact Camberwell Choir School - they have lots of instruments that they will be using for the many children that attend but they may have contacts in terms of their own donors? And would want to be helpful I'm sure

Can the school/his music teacher/the council help at least with ideas of how to get hold of a instrument or any ideas of hardship grants/help that might apply? http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200043/extra-curricular_activities/1049/musical_instrument_tuition_and_provision

don't think Southwark are great on this but migth be worth giving Bromley Music Trust a call see if they have any leads.

I am sure there must be various charities that either do grants or loans to help children keep learning in this situation - haven't searched properly but the first link on this page from the Princes Trust looks like one: https://www.princes-trust.org.uk/need_help/next_steps/your_next_steps_in_the_uk/alternative_sources_of_funding/funding_for_individuals.aspx

good luck with keeping him playing!

If he's only grade 2, I wouldn't think that swapping instruments was unthinkable. I know I took up the clarinet at secondary and I was regularly trying other instruments. The embrochure wasn't really an issue. Maybe it would have been had I been serious about playing professionally but for enjoyment it was fine.

It would be great if you could find a source of an instrument. But changing instrument isn't such an awful option and possibly he could always change back at a later stage if he really wanted to.

Maybe worth trying the 'Have a Go' instrument sessions at the Royal Festival Hall around the Funharmonics concerts (http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whatson/lpo-081115-89095). You don't need a ticket to try the instruments before or after the concerts and there are lots of instruments to try.

Definitely have a look at instrument hire, or rent to buy schemes. If he's keen and has put in the practise it seems a shame to have to switch instruments now.

That said, I didn't take up the flute until I was 10 (in NZ at the time, that was the age you had to wait to get to before taking up a "proper" instrument).

As Yak said, it's a great choice of instrument in terms of it being less common, therefore more opportunities. I'm trying to gently guide my son towards less common orchestral instruments, as being a flautist I'm all too aware of the competition for places.

Good luck.