St Thomas the Apostle

mrs.lotte

Had a tour of St Thomas the Apostle today. It was surprisingly poorly attended compared to others I'd been to. I thought it was a cracking school with fantastic results an amazing Ofsted and my friend who has recently started working there raves about the fantastic behaviour. However it seems to be overlooked locally and a friend of mine at St Anthony's tells me that it is rare for boys to transfer from there to STAC.

Does anyone have any experience of the school or know why it is that it is not as popular as others or is it just catching up?

Hi mrs.lotte I'd also be interested in the same thing... as you say, fantastic results and Ofsted and also a brand new building, locally I've heard positive things as well. It's also a small school which I like - only 120 a year. Perhaps it's because it's a Catholic school? Be good to hear what others say...

Previously didn't have a brilliant reputation, now has a new head, the head from Sacred Heart is Executive Head over both schools, outstanding Ofsted, new sixth form, and great GCSE results. Is on an upward swing and is still (so I hear) undersubscribed in Y7 this year, so places available.

As landsberger said did not have a brilliant reputation previously but seems to be on the up.

I guess people are still abit unsure with the school, I have 2 friends who sons just started and happy with the school.

GSCES results are a big difference compare to just a couple years ago, I did not know head of sacred heart is executive head, all makes sense now as sacred heart ofsted and GSCEs results are outstanding (only state school in southwark to have achieved 90% 5 A*-C at GSCE 2013)

I guess it just takes a while for a school's reputation to catch up with the reality but I'm very surprised that it's undersubscribed in Y7, bet it won't be next year.

I notice that there is another open day tomorrow and an open evening on Thursday, I'd encourage anyone looking for an outstanding local place for a boy to go.

50% non catholic according to the Head

Went along this morning. Again - not hordes of people, but enough ...

Agree - think its a really lovely school - building, calm, great atmosphere and good relationships/evident respect between staff and pupils.

I'm an atheist but we'll definitely be putting this on our list.

HP

They definitely have to do GCSE religious education. I asked how Catholicism impacted on their teaching. They said that they were guided by an overarching ethos e.g. respect etc. Which I guess would be shared by most people. That said the prospectus and website were more overtly catholic ...