The Charter School East Dulwich

cn150

Curmudgeon Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Wait 4 years and look around all the secondary

> options (when your child is year 5)

>

> Charter East Dulwich is not even open yet

One of my school friends told me to start worrying now about secondary school admissions as her friend's daughter, who lives in Peckham, only got offered a place in Beckenham (?Langley park). So I thought I'd better start planning and (?saving) now.

Why? Schools change a lot over time and different schools suit different kids. There's no way I could have predicted what might suit my son when he was year one. Choices are not choices on the form imoh; just preferences. Did your friend put down six realistic schools? If not might be why got offered a place further away?

This is definitely a wind up. There are schools in Peckham that are both good and undersubscribed. Aksim===

Also, the Charter ED is a state school so there is no reason to save up as mentioned in a previous post.

Lastly, if you already live in the area, what is the point in asking about secondary schools now unless you are thinking of moving closer to a potential secondary school even though right now your child is only in year 1 and even the school in question hasn?t even opened yet?

cn150 Wrote:

> Curmudgeon Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Wait 4 years and look around all the secondary

> > options (when your child is year 5)

> >

> > Charter East Dulwich is not even open yet

>

> One of my school friends told me to start worrying

> now about secondary school admissions as her

> friend's daughter, who lives in Peckham, only got

> offered a place in Beckenham (?Langley park). So I

> thought I'd better start planning and (?saving)

> now.

> One of my school friends told me to start worrying

> now about secondary school admissions as her

> friend's daughter, who lives in Peckham, only got

> offered a place in Beckenham (?Langley park). So I

> thought I'd better start planning and (?saving)

> now.

Langley Park is a heavily oversubscribed school that offers places based on proximity, so that's unlikely.

Maybe start worrying now about making your next 'joke' funny??

LondonMix Wrote:

> This is definitely a wind up. There are schools

> in Peckham that are both good and undersubscribed.

> Aksim===

>

> Also, the Charter ED is a state school so there is

> no reason to save up as mentioned in a previous

> post.

>

> Lastly, if you already live in the area, what is

> the point in asking about secondary schools now

> unless you are thinking of moving closer to a

> potential secondary school even though right now

> your child is only in year 1 and even the school

> in question hasn?t even opened yet?

>

>

> cn150 Wrote:

> -----

> > Curmudgeon Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Wait 4 years and look around all the

> secondary

> > > options (when your child is year 5)

> > >

> > > Charter East Dulwich is not even open yet

> >

> > One of my school friends told me to start

> worrying

> > now about secondary school admissions as her

> > friend's daughter, who lives in Peckham, only

> got

> > offered a place in Beckenham (?Langley park). So

> I

> > thought I'd better start planning and (?saving)

> > now.

Ok, thanks for that useful info. I didn't know the school hasn't opened yet - I think I'm getting confused with the Charter School in Dulwich village. Will this new planned school just take kids from East Dulwich rather than further away such as Nunhead or Peckham Rye? I'm thinking of moving soon to Tell Grove - do you think would that be close enough for the new school?

I don't think my wife would stick living in a caravan for 5 years (but maybe we wouldn't have to actually live in it?). Any way I'll think what I'll do is rent out my house on Landcroft Road and buy a larger house on one of the local 'Grove' Roads to make sure we're near enough for when the time comes to apply. I've also started reading Southwark Council's annual school admissions policies - apparently 'Looked-after' children are given priority over straight line proximity, but I think that's a fair thing to do, so I'm very supportive of that. I did look at Alleyn's, but apparently you need to know the pluperfect tense in French or some nonsense like that for the admissions test. I don't even know what the pluperfect tense in English, let alone in my second language (Italian).

cn150 Wrote:

> I don't think my wife would stick living in a

> caravan for 5 years (but maybe we wouldn't have to

> actually live in it?). Any way I'll think what

> I'll do is rent out my house on Landcroft Road and

> buy a larger house on one of the local 'Grove'

> Roads to make sure we're near enough for when the

> time comes to apply. I've also started reading

> Southwark Council's annual school admissions

> policies - apparently 'Looked-after' children are

> given priority over straight line proximity, but I

> think that's a fair thing to do, so I'm very

> supportive of that. I did look at Alleyn's, but

> apparently you need to know the pluperfect tense

> in French or some nonsense like that for the

> admissions test. I don't even know what the

> pluperfect tense in English, let alone in my

> second language (Italian).

Really not a wind up? Yes looked after kids getting priority is definitely fair and usual. Personally I don't think buying into a 'catchment' is at all fair and to he frank makes my blood boil - as because of that some other poor kid won't get in.

Family Room Moderator Wrote:

> Please be aware that cn150 is a "troll". He/she

> also posts as Bob Buzzard, purely for his/her

> entertainment, nothing being written bears any

> resemblance to real world events.

>

> Don't feed the troll!

Goodo! Thanks Family Room Moderator.