Lego Ninjago (feminist rant about)

scareyt

Hi all, I now live in a Ninjago-obsessed house and the almost total lack of girls in this imaginary world really bothers me. So I wrote a letter to the people behind it - published here if anyone want to read and/or share it. Thanks!

https://medium.com/@Sarahjflip/dear-dan-and-kevin-an-open-letter-to-the-hageman-brothers-writers-of-the-lego-ninjag-series-839b76e84be9?source=tw-2273c7ec3be9-1444298290429

I can feel many more letters bubbling up to the surface.... Do they not realise that

girls loved Frozen so passionately because it was actually genuinely about girls, doing stuff, in their own story? There is a proven market for it!!

• 1 month later...

I too have written to Lego asking why females are so under-represented. My son and daughters love Lego but the lack of female characters is depressing. Mine like Chima but there are only a few females, and they are hard to find in the kits unless you buy the mega-expensive ones.

I had to order a load of female figures off Ebay to balance our lego collection out! It's a big irritation to me. The reply I got from Lego was unsatisfactory, but I guess the more if us that complain the better.

Lego's stock response is 'but we have produced Lego Friends!' So, basically the girls have been allocated their own lego world, so they don't have to bother with all that other exciting ninja adventure stuff......