Advice on first toddler bike please!

akd

Hi knowledgeable parents!

I'd be grateful for your recommendations as to the best first bike to buy our daughter for her 3rd birthday. Am wondering about balance bikes but perhaps there are small normal ones with stabilisers that are as good / better?

Thanks for your feedback...

balance bikes are supposed to be better (for encouraging understanding of balance necessary for later peddling)- Brixton Cycles used to do a part-exchange scheme for kids bikes bought with them (so the necessary upgrades are easier and cheaper - maybe worth popping in to see them?

If you want to try out balance bikes, I highly recommend the 2-5 year balance bike session at herne hill velodrome. Check out their website, its on tuesday mornings and friday evenings 4-5:30 (although friday afternoons end this month). It is ?3 for the session and ?1 to try out their balance bikes if you don't bring your own. Celeste, the coordinator and instructor is very good to talk to and your little one can see others her age cycling too.

Yes, get a balance bike! They are less hard work for toddlers than pedalling along all askew on one stabiliser as they lean sideways, and balance bikes give them the skills to learn to ride a 'real' bike without stabilisers within minutes. Stabilisers actually impeded balancing skills by encouraging them to tip their balance the wrong way.

Has anyone tried using the IslaBike Cnoc 14 as a balance bike (ie by taking off the pedals) for a 3 year old? My daughter has a puky bike but its a bit heavy for her at 2.5 years. I'm reluctant to buy another balance bike as she might not use it for too much longer so was wondering if this might be a good alternative given we could pop the pedals back on when she's ready.(she's reasonably tall). Posting here as thought that if it was an option might be something akd might consider too.

hi goldilocks, that is our plan.

we have a wooden balance bike but our son isn't that interested, as it converts from a trike and re really loves the trike.

he is however very keen on having a proper bike and understands he has to get the hang of balancing first. we are planning to get him a bike for christmas and take the pedals off until he masters it as a balance bike.

if you read the reviews on the islabike website it sounds like a few people have done that so I'm assuming it works!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...