which Phil & Teds

I am looking to buy a (secondhand) Phil & Teds double buggy, but can't see the wood for the trees anymore with the different models, Dot, Navigator, Sport & Explorer.

I have a 2 year old toddler who's positively pint-sized & a newborn.

I like the Dot, because it's so compact but the other models seem to get good reviews as well too.

I am looking for a small a buggy as possible, ideally one that fits the parent facing seat (although that only goes up to 9 kgs.

Thanks!

We had a sport, which I found was very heavy, and you had to be really careful to put the brake on or hold on to it, or it would roll off.

What I did like about it was the cacoon carry cot for the newborn, because they could sleep and you could just lift it out without waking them.

i would recommend a navigator. we had the dot but the newborn bit is smaller - in all the other models it drops down a bit giving more room for the feet. (the dot v2 might be different though?)i would steer clear of the dot to be honest!!!

the older models are fine too but i find the narrower width is really good - even if its only 2cm narrower or whatever.

if you buy second hand, put both kids in (or equivalent weight) and walk around the block with it, checking it pushes smoothly, don't rely on people being 100% truthful about condition.

if you can afford it, buy new - generally p&ts are built like tanks but if you buy second hand they aren't covered by warranty and spare parts can add up. i got caught out by this on my current p&t - luckily they replaced the part free of charge as it was a recurring issue on that model (the auto stop brake, if anyone is interested - they have now changed the design)

also the navigator has a lot of extra functionality e.g. the rear facing seat, auto stop brake, follow-the-sun hood etc.

with all phil and teds models, most people reach a point where your baby is 3-6 months old where they are too big for the newborn bit but too small for the main seat. if you can cope with this until the baby is big enough for the main seat then i do recommend p&ts - i really struggled with it as my older son still napped in the pram at this stage and actually bought a different buggy. apart from this one thing i think they are great buggys!

sorry i see you did say you were looking for second hand! misread that bit! if its a navigator v2 with autostop (the brake on the handle) just check it comes on and off easily. you should be able to push it along effortlessly. with mine, it was a pain to hold the brake on as you walked along which i now realise was a sign of the fault. hope that helps.

Navigator all the way. The Sport is too bulky but does not have enough space for the second child. The Dot is very small and the second child has no space. The Navigator is the improved version of the Explorer (the Explorer model is finished so if you will need a new wheel you might have to get a whole new buggy). I love the fact it has the same space of the Explorer but with a better and reclining second seat. Just choose the one with the foot break as the other one has had tons of complaints

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Also - wrt the bottom seat - I also thought it looked like a bit of a rubbish deal but both of mine very happy to go in and have actually argued over who gets to go in. Technically once you have 2 children who sit, the smaller one should go at the bottom, but its not such an issue unless you're trying to get on trains with it (when you need the weight at the front to pivot it!)

When the babies are tiny the main seat lies flat and turns into the bit they lie on and the bottom seat goes over the top - so its quite high up. Once they can sit up you turn the main seat back into a seat and put the smaller second seat underneath. (the 'smaller' seat really isn't that small btw)