Bombard me with activities for my 10 month old

GinaG3

I'm looking at ED tots but not getting anywhere. I need recommendations..

I'm going through a really hard time at the moment and trying to focus everything in to my children, as I've always done. I need stuff to do every weekday with my 10 month old while my 6 year old is at school. My problem is that I find a lot of baby groups in ED really cliquey and that's not something I want to be walking in to right now as that put me off doing anything with my 6 year old when she was a baby.

Bessemer was great but now it's gone and groups have been moved to other buildings i'm finding its not as good. Does anyone go to groups at dog kennel hill/albrighton?

I know you ladies can help. Thanks in advance.

Have you looked at the SE London Attachment Parenting group on FaceBook? They have fairly regular meetups, nature walks, playdates, etc. They're a really diverse groups of parents, and you're welcome to host your own meetups, post for people in your local area with children similar ages.

FWIW, my daughter is 5.5yo, but I know what you mean about baby groups being 'cliquey'. I don't think people nec do it on purpose. But it can be really hard, when everyone in the groups seems to have come with their friend(s), and no one talks to you (even when you try to talk to them!). Sometimes even when people are really friendly, you're just on different nap schedules, school pickups etc, and you never manage to make deeper connections.

I tried to go to activities that my daughter and I got a lot out of together, so it didn't matter if I did/didn't connect with the other parents. Swimming was lovely. We did Water Babies. I also enjoyed Baby Sensory, but at 10 mo, your baby would be outgrowing Baby Sensory when walking in a few months. I used to take the bus all the way to Crystal Palace because the One O'clock Club there was so lovely -- really a shame that closed.

I wasn't keen on Monkey Music or Tumble Tots. They just weren't a good fit for us. Boppin Bunnies was loads of fun, think they're in ED on Mondays. I also think sometimes how well you 'gel' with the activity can be as much to do with time of day, venue, session leaders etc, as it is to do with the class contents.

What's on at Horniman or Greenwich this autumn? Hope you find some things that work for you and your LO. xx

Here is a list attached of the activities ran by south camberwell early years. Even though my children are older I always found the Monday afternoon stay and play session at albrighton really good - was by far the friendliest group I went to with my babies, not cliquey at all. I do hope it is still the same.

I go to messy play on a Tuesday sometimes with my youngest at dog kennel hill and that is a good session.

http://dkh.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Autumn-Term-2015-Whats-On.Sep-Dec1.pdf

Anything at the Albrighton is usually friendly and we used to go to All Saints church in Peckham on a Weds morning - I think there are sessions at 10 and 11. There was also a playgroup at the church on Coplestone Road on a Tues morning, but I'm not sure if that's still going?

If you fancy a bus trip, get the 176 or 197 to Forest Hill/Sydenham and try Holy Trinity church at 10 on a Fri morning. It's run by lovely ladies who make very nice cakes. Get off the bus at Tesco and walk along Sydenham Park.

Sometimes baby groups can seem cliquey, but I think that's just people sticking to who they know. I remember those days when the last thing I wanted to do was to talk to people, but sometimes if you just have one chat you feel better. Anything free is usually nicer! Hope that helps.

the sessions at dulwich library are really nice. just stories and i didn't meet people there but it was a nice friendly smile-at-eachother atmosphere

also i practically lived at anetos cafe, they are super friendly and its a good way to pass an hour if you haven't got anywhere else to go. (only works if you like cafes though!)

I used to take my kids when they were babies/toddlers to Musical Bumps and it was so friendly and cheerful. I enjoyed a good sing too! It's a different teacher now to the one I know, but def worth a go if it's not too difficult to get to. I think you can try a class for free. http://m.musicalbumps.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.musicalbumps.com%2Fwhen-and-where%2F&dm_redirected=true#2957

• 2 weeks later...
Hi I know what you mean about baby groups - I found many of the places that are set up for baby activities while mums / careers just hang around quite hard. It might be worth also trying activities where it's something for you to do and the babies can be there too. I loved mum & baby yoga at Brockwell Lido, Hummy Mummies, & mum's boxing at Mind Over Matter boxing. None of them are super cheap but just one thing a week that's about you rather than the baby can make a real difference to your week. I found when there's something for you to actually do you don't get swallowed up by that horrible feeling of being a spare part with no one to talk to, and chatting to other people comes much easier.

• 3 weeks later...
I recommend Trio cafe in bellenden road for the music group with Osp. Lovely atmosphere and not too cliquey. We also love the Frog Prince music session at the Herne Tavern on Mondays. Lucy Sparkles at the Punk me up cafe on Fridays is also lovely.

votes from me also for all saints playgroup on weds mornings (you don't need to be religious at all!), bea's baby bop (bea is just lovely, multiple classes and locations per wk),fri morning rhyme time at nunhead library (less manic than the weds dulwich one) and tues morning singalong at margaret's group in nunhead. i never really got into it but the its a scream (or similar) baby cinema in peckham, brixton etc are supposed to be good and nice if you just want your own space!