mortgage protection - how much do you pay?

rover

Hello

have recently bought a house and have been thinking about mortgage protection in case one (or both) of us gets ill or dies - so including critical illness cover - as we have two young children!

we've been quoted ?58pp for this (we're in mid-late 30s) and it seems like very comprehensive cover (including an optional ?4pm for what is almost private medical care - where they will send you to the best dr worldwide), but it seems quite pricey to me. Would be a stretch on our finances with current childcare costs...

Obviously don't want to get the cheapest as want to actually be covered, but just wondering what others pay (if people don't mind revealing)? Our mortgage isn't that pricey (although aware interest rates may go up), we really just want something so it's not a financial struggle if the other one gets ill or dies (cheery!)

thanks xx

I think it really varies. I pay around ?70 just for me (with Pru) and it doesn't even cover the whole amount of my mortgage as I couldn't afford the premium, so yours sounds like a better deal. It pays to shop around - I went for mine because a very handy company who arranged a tricky mortgage recommended it (probably the worst reason!) and I do need to review it.

My boyfriend and I pay ?15.92 per month (this is one payment that covers both of us). This is for decreasing term cover if either of us dies or has a critical illness. It's with Legal & General but got it through our financial advisor. Happy to give you his details if you're interested.