Loft extension - where to start?

No one on our street has done this. There must be a reason, we assume it's not possible. Our loft is big but fairly low height. Still, a room seems plausible. We will have to move if we can't extend up, so whilst it's unlikely we can extend, I want to find out for sure as cheaply as possible. Where do I start this process! With an architect?,a loft extension company? Putting something to Southwark? If you know, please advise. Much appreciated.

Phone one of the loft companies who are likely to know if there is a precedent for your street/type of house. We had a lovely guy around who spend ages talking us through our options (complicated due to freehold/leasehold as well as planning situation). He was great and didnt charge us for the consultation. Perhaps you would need to lower your celing if height is an issue (it was one option for us). I can pm his name and number if you like? Not salsey in the slightest.

I'd recommend getting a few companies in to discuss it. We had a low-ish height and different companies had quite different views on what they could offer us - one said no way, while others said it was fine. We've now got a lovely loft with reasonable height and haven't lowered ceilings.

I did hear recently that someone had got planning permission to raise the roof ridge height from Southwark. Could be total balderdash or perhaps rules are changing. The loft companies will know though.

Get some quotes from loft companies. We got 4 in. 2 said they'd have to lower the ceiling and 2 didn't, we went with our favoured of those 2. It's not massively high, think it's 2.1m? (I'm 5ft 7 and can touch the ceiling with my fingertips if I reach up) but it's absolutely fine and you get so much from it (we got a bedroom and shower room and small landing).

The loft company did the planning bit, can't help re your road but someone has to be first?

Hello,

We are a young Architect practice who has carried out a number of loft and rear extension projects mainly in South London, some of which can be seen on our website www.nimtim.co.uk. We would be happy to meet you, look at the property and discuss what you need in terms of additional space. There are different ways to do a loft conversion as well as possibly looking at other ways to extend your home should the roof space not have adequate headroom.

Good luck with your project, it's always an exciting time at the beginning.

Nimi Attanayake ARB RIBA

nimtim architects

e - [email protected]

m - 07539039455

t - 02077338761

w - www.nimtim.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We are a young architect practice based in Forest Hill. We understand that many of our clients' need to modify, adapt and extend their home as their requirements change and we work in a collaborative approach to develop the best use of space. We would be happy to meet you, view the property and prepare some potential options. Some of our previous work can be seen on our website: www.nimtim.co.uk and we would be happy for you to visit completed projects and have a chat with our other clients.

Good luck with your project,

Nimi

Hi,

we had a roof height of 1.8m, so had to lower the ceiling below by nearly 30cm (cost 2/3k extra)to accommodate and have ended up with a loft height of about 2.04m which is ok. It is rare to be allowed to increase the height of your roof, unless you are detached and your house is unique to the road and more expensive.