Interested in forming a Mandarin immersion playgroup?

cirrus29

I'm seeking other Mandarin-speaking parents/carers with children of pre-school age or younger to form a regular (perhaps weekly?) playgroup. I envisage a 30-60 minute long session with Chinese nursery rhymes, play-based learning and also the teaching of some Chinese characters to those ready to read/write. Mine are currently 3.5 years and 9 months respectively, and this is what I do at home with them, but I am struggling to stay motivated! We also admittedly speak English at home most of the time... Please reply or send a message if you are interested.

-Samantha

• 2 weeks later...
Hi - I'd be very keen but work full-time. Would nannies be invited? Alternatively, would be happy with a playdate over a weekend. We are relatively new to the area and I think my kids would benefit from just being around other Mandarin or Cantonese speakers. They seem to think I am just making up my own language...

Sounds great but just remember not to exclude anybody who is not fluent in Mandarin i.e. Mandarin immersion? They might be a grandparent or a carer not familiar with the language.

I was excluded from a group around 8 years ago for being "rather too English" even though I spoke the basic (and I mean basic) language!

Hi minder,

this is precisely why I need the help of other parents/carers! I too speak pretty basic Mandarin - it is very much my second language, and I am only *just* literate for all practical purposes, despite having studied the subject at school. I hope it will all come back once I have people to practice with/ am forced to speak it in an immersion situation - even if only at toddler/household vocabulary level! Anyone who can speak any Mandarin is welcome to join, but I think immersion is important - my daughter has already picked up the habit of replying in English - bit like history repeating itself as this is the same thing I used to do with my parents (they spoke to me in Chinese and I replied in English) from age 4-ish, resulting in my current lack of fluency... Who knows, perhaps this will prove futile - but I'm giving it my best shot!