Concerned over development of two year old

Hi, I have a two year old boy and I'm concerned about his development. It already booked an appointment with the health visitor to get him assessed . But does anyone have any ways or activities I can do to stimulate my son? He is distracted very easily and he can not talk much. Can only say a few words .i tried doing a basic puzzle with him and it took me 10 minutes just to get him to pick up the pieces and put it where I showed him to. I try reading to him

But he's only intrested in one picture per page book. So I'm continuing it and hoping to move on to something a bit more advanced. Had any parent gone through this with there child? Just need some advice .. Just very worrie

It's good that you've booked sppointment to get him assessed if you're worried. A lot of children (esp boys) develop speach later than others. Can he make you understand what he wants by pointing for example? Can he follow instructions?

A friend's son didn't start speaking until much later abd it transpired that he had hearing difficulties. Is this something you've considered? Maybe he cant hear properly? Can often be easily treated.

My son didnt start doing puzzles until 2.5-3, even quite basic ones. Have yiu tried other things he is interested in - like making shapes out of cars or putting them in a line for example? It might just be that he's not that into books. My son loves them, but goes through phases.

Hope all is ok and sounds like you're doing the right thing. If there is an issue its best to get help asap. Good luck.

Thank you for your supportive message! He does point to things when he wants them but instead of saying the name of the item he just goes " uh uh uh ". I say the word a few times to make him understand what it is but he doesn't usually pick it up. He only follows a few instructions like " come here" and " put your shoes on " but thy too only when he isn't distracted. I feel like his understanding level isn't great. His attention level is low too . I used to work in a nursery so that's why I'm aware of what level a child should be at two. I know every child is different but o just want to help him as much as I can.

Obviously they will be able to tell you more at his 2 year check but, I had the same thoughts about my son's speech in particular when he had just turned 2, and another couple of friends had the same worries with their children when they just turned two, and all three kids are now 3 or 4 months on from their 2nd birthdays and have gone from only having a couple of words to proper sentences so it does often change very quickly xx