Joining state primary school - year 3 entry

Can anyone tell me what the score is on applications to Southwark primary schools, entry into year 3?

My child is in year 2 at an independent infants school. I've looked into putting her through the 7+ for prep school places next year, but I don't want to do it.

Do I just contact each school directly, get her name on the waiting lists, and hope?

I have a child who will start in reception in September. We live very near to a good primary and I am wondering whether getting him a place in reception at our local school would improve my daughter's chances on the waiting list?

you have to contact the council and they will send you the right form. it might be too early still for next year, as if you get a place at the school you want you will need to take it up soonish. i would do in the summer term.

if you are really keen on the school near you, you could just do it now and wait till a place comes up there, even if she then moves before year 3.

I think you should be able to get a place relatively easily in a state school in Year 3. There is a lot of movement in that year locally with some kids moving to the private sector or going off to Dulwich Hamlet. However, be aware the schools themselves might not know whether there will be spaces opening up till the last moment, as parents don't always announce their intentions till quite late in the day if they are moving their child.

Places likely to have Y3 vacancies in ED or thereabouts

Dulwich Wood

Heber

Goodrich

Judith Kerr has free spaces but is a free school, and will probably only admit you so long as your child is middle class.

Further afield places likely to have space

Bessember Grange

Crawford

Dog Kennel Hill

Lyndhurst

Oliver Goldsmith

Yes, there's quite a large German speaking community around ED/Herne Hill. My kids are German speakers but Judith Kerr is a bus ride away, and what I want is for them to be together with their friends in our local community school.

The independent school which my daughter currently attends, our local primary and Southwark Admissions team have all been really kind and helpful and this situation is now sorted.

Thank you everyone for pointing me in the right direction.

minder Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I had to think for a minute, but totally

> understand where you're coming from landsberger!

I tell 'em as I see them. And plenty of free schools and academies play fast and loose with admissions in pursuit of good results and not having deal with "difficult" children - far better to let the state schools deal with them (and then slag them off for having low attainment....)

Anyway, great news, WorkingMummy, I hope your daughter enjoys where she is, and glad to hear the school and Southwark Council have been helpful.