Please help my fundraising!

https://www.gofundme.com/vd5mqw8k

This December I will be visiting my family in Kenya for Christmas and having recently discovering the Wangu Kanja Foundation I am determined to support the fight for making violence against women a social issue in Kenya. If you have not read the attached article (which I urge you do) rape is rarely reported in Kenya due to stigma and a lack of faith in the police and the criminal justice system, although the country has strong legislation to protect children from sexual assault.

Nearly one in three Kenyan girls experience sexual violence before the age of 18, according to a report launched by the Kenyan government and the United Nations. Wangu Kanja (founder) uses her shocking experience to help women, girls and men who have gone through sexual violence to access comprehensive care and support including medical, psychological and legal services. They create a safe space for women and give them that platform where they know they can talk about their experiences and nobody is going to judge them.

Kenya is very patriarchal so it is important to build the capacity of women to become financially independent in order to reduce their vulnerability. At the foundation they make peanut butter, baskets, ornaments, and jewellery. With these resources, women can use their skills to protect themselves but ultimately, many women still die in silence because this country doesn?t offer a safe environment to speak about their ordeal.

I will be volunteering at the Foundation in December and any donation you can spare will be hugely appreciated by the organisation. The money will be used to spread awareness in Kenya that women have a safe space, support and resources in order to overcome the matter which their government is not taking seriously enough.

Thank you!!!