Toddler dropping through height centiles

Specklemum

Hi all. I left the health visitor clinic worried this morning & hoping some other mums may have some knowledge or experience to share... Funnily enough, consulting Dr Google hasn't exactly reassured me :(

We'd noticed in recent months that our 2 year old had become one of the shortest amongst his peers, but hadn't thought much of it and assumed it was just the way he is and/or that he'd catch up at some point. Whilst I was getting my baby weighed earlier today, the hv also checked my older son's height and weight as it had been a while. I was a bit shocked to learn that his height has dropped from around the 50th centile at 1 year old to 2nd centile now. His weight has stayed around the 50th. I've made an appointment with his GP as the HV suggested, but he won't be seen for a couple of weeks & I'm finding it hard not to worry. We don't have any other concerns about our son physically or developmentally. He is a happy active, talkative little boy.

Has anyone got any thoughts or experiences they could share? I'm also curious what tests etc the GP is likely to arrange?

I know that someone has to be on the lower ranges of the centiles, but the fact that he's dropped through several & that both his dad and I are average height has me worried that all may not be well.