Stabbing and Kingsdale

LondonMix

Its being reported in the news that two 15 year old students at Kingsdale have been stabbed and a 3rd student arrested. One child is in critical condition though the other is stable.

If anyone is aware of anything the parents or school may need, please let the forum know. I am sure there are many people, including myself, who would welcome the opportunity to offer any support we can in what must be an incredibly difficult time for those affected.

I just hope that the child in critical condition makes a full recovery...

Sorry, where I'm from, when something bad happens in a community, the community extends an offer of help.

That could be helping with child care or meals or anything else someone might need while staying in hospital with a sick child, helping the school with anything they are trying to organize etc.

If that is way out of order in London, then sorry but its absolutely not meant to be disaster tourism. I can't believe anyone could even think such a thing.

It might have been the wording of your first post being unclear. The Forum has a v wide readership beyond the hub of ED/Kingsdale, and has been prone to some rather unfortunate threads in the past (probably before your time). Sometimes subtleties of intention are lost in translation. Thanks for clarifying. xx

Okay, thanks Saffron. I think it must be before my time. I live in ED about half a mile south of ED station. Anyhow, it might just be me being too American again. When something like this happens in the US, the community always rallies around the school and the victims to show support. Perhaps that seems intrusive over here or maybe it simply reflects weaker public services in the US. Either way, I didn't have any bad intentions and I hope I didn't upset anyone actually impacted by what happened.

I do hope the victim still in hospital is doing okay.

It's an interesting point - it must be a cultural thing. I'm sure it's the norm in America but if I'd been affected by some personal tragedy, I'd be utterly baffled if a stranger rocked up offering me cooked meals or childcare, even if they lived a few doors down from me (though if it were my actual neighbours, who I know and like, that would be different). In fact, I'd find it intrusive and, yes, I'd probably suspect their motives and think they were being nosey. Isn't that awful! But I guess it's just how you're brought up - I know my parents would be exactly the same, in fact much worse.

If it was my child or a loved ones child hurt & my local community,well say people from the forum offered advice n practical help in these forms,even just a shoulder to cry on it would mean so much. We live in a society where we don't even have to say hi to our neighbours etc etc.... Nothing strange in offering support-lovely in fact. All just love a bit more & hopefully it'll be catching. X

When I had my second child, at home, during the day and shouting like a deranged birthing loon, the neighbours (whom I didn't know well) must have heard because by early evening a lovely, nourishing chicken stew, enough for all of us, arrived and I was so grateful for the thought and care and kindness.

LondonMix Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry, where I'm from, when something bad happens

> in a community, the community extends an offer of

> help.

>

> That could be helping with child care or meals or

> anything else someone might need while staying in

> hospital with a sick child, helping the school

> with anything they are trying to organize etc.

>

> If that is way out of order in London, then sorry

> but its absolutely not meant to be disaster

> tourism. I can't believe anyone could even think

> such a thing.

Don't worry LondonMix, most people wouldn't think this, offering help and support to people whether you're close friends or just nearby is what makes a community and your good intentions were absolutely clear. xx