Christmas craft ideas for somewhat unwilling 3yr old?

midivydale

I am the least creative/artistic person there is but does anyone have any ideas of easy to make christmasy craft type things that i can make with my ds at home? He is an icredibly early riser and I keep using tv/ipad/puzzles to engage him and keep the noise down until more sociable hours but would love to use this time for something abit more engaging/productive.

I want him to be engaged (gets bored v easily)and i also want to practice skills such as using scissors, maybe glue some tiny bits (need to practice some fine motor skills).

Can anyone help with festive ideas or pointers? And where I can get material for said ideas?

I am really clueless.

Thanks x

Packs of blank coloured cards from sainsburys. Christmas stickers, glitter from a pound shop. Coloured paper, fabric to cut up and stick on. Make Christmas cards for people he loves?

I can't force my near three year old to craft. He's either in the mood or not. So don't worry!

Ps: to make it more exciting you can also cut the card into a shape? Like a tree. For him to stick Pom poms (from pound shop) on etc etc

Pound shops often have boxed craft activities - I find them great as I am not at all creative in that kind of way so need a bit of direction. But I don't really have a very crafty boy either and so it's a success if I get 20 minutes of activity out of it. I see little girls on playdates getting really stuck into craft - I figure it's either something they like or not.

Baking is a good alternative activity - and decorating cakes is just a more yummy form of crafting, right?

I'll stick my head into the firing zone...

If it's ridiculously early, why encourage him by doing engaging/fun things?

I'm sure my nearly 4 year old would love to do gluing/sticking/colouring before 7am, but I'm afraid I just wouldn't entertain the idea. I've got three kids, I need to be able to vaguely function for work, there's just no way I could do it.

However, Baker Ross (online) have some very cool craft stuff.

Thanks everyone for suggestions! Heading to pound shops today to stock up!

Pickle,your comment noted and obviously we all do things differently according to our individual circumstances and children:)

As I only have the one child and work full time my time with him is very precious and I want to make the most of that time. So if that includes getting into some festive spirits by doing some gluing/sticking with my morning coffee then I cherish and value that time. Even if it is at 5.30am, by 7am we are already out the door (another thread...)

Not everyones cup of tea but works for us. Huge thank you for the tip baker ross tip will look it up! As i said i am cluless so grateful for all tips.

There's also the art shop in Camberwell if you need supplies. (http://www.cowlingandwilcox.com/) They cater for the kids market as well as the student/professional one. Good for when you want things last minute and forgot to order from Baker Ross / Yellow Moon.

But be warned, there's a lot of tempting bits in there that will tempt even the most unartistic like me!

I find Pinterest brilliant for craft ideas (for myself and for kids).I love the art shop in Camberwell but can be a bit pricey.I use all sorts of bits and bobs from around the house,takes me back to childhood memories of Blue Peter!For collage tear up old magazines,use paint sample cards,old cardboard boxes etc.For Xmas I'm attempting home made salt dough decorations,cheap ingredients.

Happy crafting.I'm with you on the early risers.We've tried all sorts to get my dd to sleep later but do end up getting up very early!

What about making snowflakes by folding up white paper and cutting bits out? I'm sure there are patterns online. I still remember making the three wise men with my mum by wrapping Christmassy paper round milk bottles and glueing on a face and beard and hands holding gold/frankincense/myrrh. Pinterest is really good for craft inspiration.

My nearly three year old's current favourite is for me to tape sticky backed plastic on the patio door sticky side out and she sticks coloured cellophane to it to make a 'stained glass window'. We've moved on to adding Pom poms, feathers, tissue paper, fake jewels, anything really!

Hobbycraft type shops are also currently selling great felt shaped Christmas trees with felt baubles and decorations to add to it or you can make your own (we were lucky and a friend's mum made ours for us). Great festive fun!

Second the recommendation for Tiger - Sainsburys also often have good value craft sets in stock. I would recommend making Xmas bunting. You can cut out a shape on plain or coloured paper (Ikea is excellent for coloured paper if you have a trip there planned) and he can decorate it. Something like Xmas trees or snowmen would be simple. You could string it up and put it in his room after too!

Aw salt dough, how could i forget? Brilliant tip, have the cookie cutters already as keen gingerbread makers (swedish thing). And then i can paint, chuck glitter etc on top and make holes to hang them up (or not if they look awful).

Thanks, super tip.

Oh and that baker ross website is dangerous stuff, spent a fortune, blaming you pickle :).