Car advice pls

jollymummy

I wondered if any forumites drive a Skoda Octavia and, if so, could give any feedback on it? Hubby loves his cars and

We have just sold an SQ5 (which he loved probably more than me) and we need a car just for the next 12 months but he is resisting the Octavia.

We have number 3 baby on the way and I think the cabin space, boot volume, solid shape and good fuel economy are a good bet. Hubby is put off by the badge and is leaning towards a Honda CR-V mark 3.

Can anyone give advice on either or both? Cheers!!

We used to have an octavia vrs. It was great - speedy and big boot and easy to drive - it didn't feel like s big car. But we only have two children. The space between our two quite large high back boosters was tight when we had to carry a third child - I'd check you can get three car seats in first.

We now have a galaxy which is huge!!

We bought an octavia earlier this year and are very pleased with it. Great boot and lots of room, great to drive. Only one child but have fitted two var seats easily in the back, not sure about 3?

I am terribly uninterested in cars but it is a good reliable car and oh is reag happy with it too (and he does have at least a moderate car interest).

Was thinking 7 year old in the front with the airbag deactivated and 4 year old and newborn in the back. We don't often travel as a family but thought when we do one of us could squeeze in the back.

Hubby will not entertain the idea of a people carrier.

Is this realistic?

I think it is - lots of families with 3 kids don't have a people carrier. I can think of several forumites in fact!

I like the look of the Nissan Qashqai (I am daydreaming as we deffo won't be getting a new car anytime soon!) and know someone with three kids who has it. She says the boot is good. She does 7 yr old in front like you say. We have a ford focus and I've managed 3 booster seats in the back before.

Leasing seems like a good option. Another possibility is to change car seats, as it is possible to get three across many "normal" cars if you use extended rear facing seats. We have a Touran, which is pretty much like a saloon car to drive but is a small mpv. It's great if you have 3 children to fit in.

Putting a 7 year old in the front is not a very safe option. I can look up studies later if you like, but in general it is not recommended for children under 12 or under 135cm.

It's definitely possible to manage without a people carrier - I love cars and point blank refused when Mr Pickle suggested one a few years back!

We manage to fit three children across the back, two in boosters and one in a Maxi Cosi Toddler (massive!) seat, and before that, two boosters and an infant seat. It's a bit of a squeeze to get their seat belts done up, but they fit.

There's a Facebook group called Car Seat Advice for Mummies and Daddies at https://www.facebook.com/groups/289434267864378/?fref=ts which has several Admins who are experts on this subject. They will be able to help you identify the safe combinations for cars and car seats for your specific children. There's also a local company called Rear Facing Toddlers run by Margaret Bolt who is an expert in the field. Well worth getting in touch with one of them for advice.