moving with school age children... scared! Advice please!

HannahSE23

Hi we're planning a house move due to redundancy that would mean a change of school. I know it's going to be a huge upheaval as my children are very happy here and have lots of friends and a fantastic network. It's not something I want either and has come about rather suddenly but I know I need to be as upbeat as possible to help my kids get through it! Does anyone have any advice about how to go about talking to them and preparing them for the move? Any useful books? I've read that a house move can have a huge negative impact on older children and I want to do everything to avoid that if possible.

Thanks!

Sorry to hear about the redundancy - its never good to be forced to do something (though it can make the decision easier!)

But just to hopefully reassure you, we moved away in the summer, and both kids moved schools (eldest is in Yr 5, youngest went into reception but in a different area so away from her nursery friends). They LOVE their new school, and the new area! They've made great new friends, its so easy for them as they spend so much time in school in the company of those new children. When we had a dusting of snow on Saturday, my 9 year old was bouncing round the house saying 'I love living in the country!' over and over again!! (it is very green, but still within the M25!)

My eldest was always very balanced about moving - I know its not always the case. But they both had trial days at their new schools which were great. I found getting them involved in all stages of the move - so viewing new homes etc was the best way to get them on board.

Obviously its a big move for me too. But my fears about the older mums all being cliquey have melted. Everyone is very friendly and welcoming. There is no EDF equivalent though - anyone want to help me set it up?? (happy to run just don't know how to make it in the first place!)

Good luck with the move - fingers crossed you'll look back and decide that it was the best thing that happened for you and your family :)

Trial days are so helpful!!

I remember when my best friend joined at the end of year 7. I was made her guide for the day, and from then on we hit off really well!! when she started on day 1 she saw me and we ended up checking our timetables together and well the rest is history. we still are best friends.

We will be doing the same in a year, to the extreme as we move to the other side of the world. Kids will be years 5, 4 and reception age.

I've already been in touch with their new school (all very simple in NZ!) and they are invited to attend for as many days as they like when we go there to visit in March. Helpfully they have a YouTube channel so we have already been watching very cool videos that the kids make, which gives a real feel for the school and culture.

As we have planned it all in advance, we have been very open with the kids, so they know exactly what's happening, and the time frame. Children are pretty adaptable :)

Good luck with it all x

We too are facing a big move to Scotland due to a change of job - I've lived in London for most of my life & I'm

Anxious about the changes for my older child - I have an 11 year old son a 7 year old & a 3 year old. I think it will be smoother for my 2 younger ones but the eldest is at secondary school & doesn't want to move - does anyone have experience of a big move with this age child? He's in year 7 at secondary school? k