Lightweight Xmas gifts ideas for kids visiting from overseas?

Loigal

Hello wise family room. I'm sure this must be a fairly common dilemma ... what to buy children relatives for Xmas when they're visiting from abroad? Of course they'll want presents from all the extended family but their parents won't want to weigh down the luggage. In my case it is a 5 and 8 year old. I've ideas of the usual types of presents but am worried about weight. Does anyone have ideas of suitable lightweight presents? Maybe something on a fun British / London theme? I'm failing to think creatively! Thanks

How about the "This is London " book for one of them

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0789310627?keywords=this%20is%20london%20book&qid=1448629070&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Uno cards or such are small and they can also play with them whilst travelling

This Melissa and Doug Hangman is superb (and good for travelling as magnetic)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Melissa-Doug-Flip-Win-Hangman/dp/B0020UZ1DO/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1448629165&sr=1-1&keywords=melissa+and+doug+hangman

For the 8 year old you could also look at those Brainbox games - fairly small to pack away in a case ....

I guess it depends a bit on interests / where they live, but my daughter (now 3) was given a similar kite to this a while ago. We used it in Peckham Rye Park for the first time during the really blustery weather a couple of weeks back, and it was just the most amazing fun! Really easy to get up in the air (ie no running, or kite-flying know-how required), and my 3yo could hold it once it was in the air. Would be even more fun with older kids who can manage it more themselves (although to be honest, I had so much fun flying it I was almost grateful that she needed help!). All kids I know will be getting one as a stocking filler / Christmas present!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0096DJHVA/ref=pd_aw_sbs_21_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31kq4XAmehL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL115_SR115%2C115_&refRID=01Z0ER6W5T1WB4PNX5JE

We have this every year when we go to back home, smaller presents are easy to pack so last year it was thomas tank engine trains. This year action figures are on the agenda I believe and they are easy to pack too. Lego figures? Sticker books are great (entertains them on flight home)ditto are more useful things like clothes/fancy dress costumes (minus big wings or swords) or backpacks (they can then carry it themselves as hand luggage on plane home.

If they like dolls these Lottie dolls are good. Only 7.5" tall so great to fit in a travel bag and come in lots of different outfits to suit different personalities.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=lottie+dolls&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=82526525820&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2048619379035073391&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5dmalyy48c_e

Might get more joy from the local small business? I always find unusual little things that you can't get anywhere else in the world? I believe this scheme has just past, but there is no harm, only good that can come from continuing to shop independently

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nicoleleinbachreyhle/2015/11/27/why-small-business-saturday-is-the-most-important-day-to-shop-this-holiday-season/

• 4 months later...