Prep schools (South East)

jamm1

JAPS is wonderful! Entrance exam - I think if you can keep you and your child happy and unstressed and relaxed on the day of the exam, that goes miles! I'd recommend doing some "extra" entry exams (e.g. applying for a few more schools) before doing the ones for the schools you really want. Good Luck!

I have put both my children through HH from kindergarten to Year 2 and they loved it - such a nurturing school and both cried when they left (last one this year)

Both my children were luckily enough to be given offers to all the local prep schools so we could choose at that stage which one we felt was right based on their personality and ability.

I would highly recommend it.

Please pm me if you would like further info

• 2 months later...

Hi Jamm1. This reply is probably way too late to be useful, but thought I'd post incase others are looking. Our DS is at HHS. The comments here and on Mum's Net seem to be split - some parents rave about HHS and others are pretty angry. I thought it might be helpful to try to explain why that might be.

Firstly, Nursery to Reception are run by a different team. I don't know a single parent who didn't think early years were amazing.

But the jump to Y1 in HHS it is HUGE. Whereas before the focus is on getting the child to enjoy school, in Y1 it is solely on entrance exams. Dulwich College will only accept children at 6 (for 7+ entry) that are 2.5 years ahead in reading and writing, however lovely and talented in other areas. It's much the same for Alleyn's and JAGs. This has put huge downward pressure on HH to ram a massive amount into Y1.

For some children this is fine. If you have a bright child with a naturally pliant/ competitive temperament who is also physically advanced (writing needs loads of co-ordination) HHS will train them in a way that ticks all the boxes. Parents of these kids tend to say they've had all the benefits of a small school and still got the results of a top Prep. In addition, parents of kids who are perhaps a bit borderline can say HHS nudges the child over the line and into places like Rosemead.

The parents who tend to be unhappy are those who's children do not fit the mould. That is not to say the child isn't bright. I know children who are near-genius but miserable or acting up under the pressure. A lot of parents feel, unfortunately I think probably correctly, that the school's response in these cases is week. Although the teachers/ head make a lot of noise about extra support, the main tactic is to punish poor performance (taking away time set aside for play is standard if the child hasn't written enough).

They are a non-selective school but their reputation is built on getting kids into schools that are becoming mega-selective. This means there is a wide variation in children's abilities and parents' expectations and not enough flexibility in either the teaching style or curriculum to cope. The way they manage to move at a pace that will get 50% of the kids into top preps is to leave the other 50% to sink or swim. While some have done really well, a significant minority have sunk spectacularly, hence the divided opinions amongst parents.

My advice would be to...

1/ Look at Y1 & 2 as closely as the early years

2/ Be really realistic about who your child is and what environment will suit them. It's not just how bright they are.

3/ Be realistic about what you are comfortable with. Some parents see it as 'stretching' the child, others see it as high-pressure 'cramming'. I don't think it says anything about you as a parent if you side one way or the other, you just need to be prepared for what comes with it.

Fwiw, Herne Hill will have a new head from September - she is the current deputy head and is a lot warmer than the present incumbent, although only time will tell if this will lead to any change in the previously mentioned criticisms.

DOI: have/had children in the early years at Herne Hill but not at Reception or higher up in the school, so have no personal experience of the pressure some describe.