Help getting my sleep back on track post baby

bels123

It's almost a year since we did sleep training for my little one, with the help of the amazing Nicola Watson. He has slept really well ever since, however I am still struggling to have a good night's sleep and have decided to finally try and address it.

Not sure what type of person I'm seeking to help me so any advice would be appreciated. Think I've been left with some underlying anxiety issues from the endless sleepless nights before my little one learnt how to self settle.

All recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

Are you exercising/doing yoga/pilates? That can make a huge difference to your wellbeing and help you sleep. Also have a look at your diet including caffeine and alcohol consumption, both of which can disrupt sleep. Aside from anxiety and anticipating a bad night's sleep (which can be a huge cause of stress) do you have any other major stressors in your life? Are there ways to address those? Finally, spending some time meditating can help - by this I mean simply putting on some soothing music (with as little external noise as possible), setting an alarm for 10/15 minutes, sitting comfortably on the ground or on a chair, closing your eyes and just breathing. Made a lot of difference for me. I also used an app called "Headspace" which is great (in fact this post is a reminder that I could probably use it these days).

Obviously there can be a more deep rooted issue, but hopefully you'll find something that helps at least a little. Good luck - not sleeping properly is rubbish (especially once you've got the little one to sleep!).

I really feel for you, have you had a look at the sleep hygene factors? I had similar issues post baby and got help from my gp in the end, general anti depressants (to help with my anxiety)sleeping tablets and cbt helped. I still often struggle and have to be very strict with things like caffeine and regular bedtimes. I feel for you, sleep deprivation sucks, really sucks.

Many thanks to both of you, there's lots for me to think about and try there. Finding ways to help me switch off and relax more easily are the priority in the short term I think.

Seeing my GP this week so will mention it there too.

Thanks again, really appreciate your advice.

Hi Bels123,

I really struggled with this also after my daughter was born. PM me if you want, I've read a few useful books and have done some CBT. There were a few things that really helped me.

Not being able to sleep is really awful and I totally sympathise with you.

I did get over it though and so will you

A nurse recommended chelated magnesium for sleep problems while I was pregnant with number 2. Had had insomnia on and off for years. It worked within days.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/marek-doyle/help-me-sleep-magnesium-secret-to-sleep-problems_b_3311795.html

I had tried all sorts of hocus pocus remedies (and CBT which was really helpful) and none of the others had worked so don't think it can be entirely placebo! Nurse recommended I take before bed with a glass of milk. You can get it in the health food shop on LL. Maybe worth a try. Good luck.

Much sympathy to you, I had a very similar situation and it can really drag you down. Echo the comments re exercise, caffeine, screen time but also I got a prescription of sleeping pills which got my body used to actually sleeping again and I found it easier to sleep afterwards. Can't remember the make, but it was a good one, I didn't take everyday, but knowing I had some helped as well on a psycological basis. Found the herbal sleeping pills useless.