Has anyone got any tips for Reykjavik?

Hi All,

We are going to Reykjavik in Feb for a long-awaited trip without kids. We're away for 4 nights. Does anyone have any tips on places to visit or stay? I am hoping that we can combine a couple of days in the city and a couple of days of total relaxation and wallowing in hot tubs. It looks like the Blue Lagoon is fully booked - any alternatives not too far from Reykjavik, we're hoping not to need to hire a car?

Thanks!

Hi bellendenbear- we went a year ago and used Eskimos Iceland to organise our tours. I loved it. They do lots of tours (full day/half day) as well as private trips (I.e. For the full time you're there). We went and they took us to lots of little thermal pools, the golden circle, selfoss, glacier hiking and dogsledding. Blue lagoon is great to visit on your way to or from the airport so worth checking if they have space on the day or departure as well as arrival. If you are staying out in the country (we did 2 nights at hotel ion, which have thermal baths and a wake up service if the lights happen to appear while you are asleep) you might find your hotel has geothermal baths as well. I've got friends who stayed at hotel ranga (also in country & have a wake up service - not sure about the baths though) & some that just hired an Airbnb in reykjavik.

In short - everyone I know who has been to Iceland has absolutely raved about it, even though everyone I know who has been has done something slightly different. I hope you have a lovely time.

Visit the Secret Lagoon - less spa than the Blue Lagoon but more authentic, and you can watch the geyser spout as you relax. You may wish to wear beach shoes as the bottom of the pond is quite stony. Cannot remember the exact location but it has a website. And it is half the price!

Also, if you are considering hiring a car (you'll need one for the Secret Lagoon - and all the geysers and waterfalls in the area) go to Sad Cars. They hire out older, but totally roadworthy, 4x4s cheaply.

We went in 2003 for our honeymoon and loved it. I can't remember where we stayed but it looks like you have lots of good recommendations above.

I think we went to this restaurant for lobster which was delicious http://www.fjorubordid.is/ http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g2052448-d1107743-Reviews-Fjorubordid-Stokkseyri_South_Region.html there is a link to the website from the tripadvisor page too. To this day I can still remember their gorgeous lobster broth.

I do have a couple of tips too:

If the Northern Lights are out have a good look there and then.

They were out on the night we arrived but I happened to be driving along a very dark road taking us from the airport to our motel. I had to really concentrate on my driving and assumed I would see them the next night so did not bother to stop and get out for a good look. They never came out again! So we went all the way to Iceland and out of the two of us only my husband got to see the famed Northern Lights!

The other tip is if you are hiring a car get a good one for going up mountains and uneven roads. We got married on a budget so hired the cheapest car we could which was something like a Toyota Yaris so not that powerful. Many of the roads near the coast are very steep and we had a very scarey experience on a steep road when the car's power failed and if I remember correctly my husband had to get out and push - I was terrifed.

You need to a good car to get across the island too. We found that we would not be able to get to some places as the car was not up to it.

It is a lovely place and I would love to go back one day. As I am sure you know it is very expensive to eat and drink out but sort of like being a tourist in London I suppose.

Have a great time. If I remember anything else I'll let you know.

When we went last summer, we booked a place via AirBnb in Alftanes (where the president lives). We opted not to have a car, so just took the bus into Reykjavik. All the bus drivers speak English, so it's quite easy to get around.

If you'd like to venture further afield, you could try using these guys: http://www.gtice.is

Here was our list of recommendations from our Icelandic friends and our Airbnb hosts...

Places to see:

1. Perlan (also serves high-end dinner)

2. Laugavegur (shopping street)

3. Skolavordustigur (another shopping street)

4. Top of Skolavordustigur is the biggest church in Iceland (great views of city & bits of water)

5. Grandi (by the harbour)

Places to eat:

1. Glo (on Laugavegur, for organic lunch)

2. Svarta Kaffi (also on Laugavegur for soups and coffee)

3. Matur og drykkur for lunch by Grandi (at Grandagardur 12)

4. Iceland Valdis for ice cream (at Grandagardur 2)

5. Baejarins Bestu for Icelandic hot dogs (Tryggvagata 1)

In our research, we also thought about staying here: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g7313926-d1983409-Reviews-Privileged_B_B-Alftanes_Reykjavik_Capital_Region.html but opted not to as we were traveling with a 3 year old and didn't want to disturb the other guests.

Have a great time!

Hi,

we went over New Year. It was fabulous, so much fun. The kids loved it (all that snow!) and there were plenty of activities, it was really wonderful. We stayed in Reykjavik but did half-day tours. I would love to go back and see a different part of the country.

- it was recommended to take the kids to the local swimming pools as they all use the same geothermal water but are more fun (slides etc.) We didn't get a chance to do this.

- we did do Blue Lagoon too and it was a great experience. We booked on the Reykjavik Excursions tour - it was like a bus service to and from the spa with ticket included so you could spend as much time as you liked.

- we did the Golden Circle tour 6 hour one. The Gullfloss waterfall was amazing - seriously windy though, felt I was going to get blown away. Yes road conditions can get treacherous - our coach had to have 'chains' put on because of the icy roads.

- agree about Northern Lights - if there's a good chance of seeing them, just do it. We never got to see them.

- we went lava tube caving. Most tours (horse riding, glaciers etc.) are for older kids unfortunately. But this one had a minimum age of 5. It was with this company which had very experienced guides, great with kids, and kept the groups small & cosy http://www.icelandexpeditions.is/

- we went whale watching. Saw absolutely no whales at all, but it was bracing fun to be on a boat in the open sea.

- the food was a bit pricey. Nice restaurant: Ostabudin

- We had great fish & chips here near the harbour: http://reykjavikfish.is/

By the way, I am not an ourdoorsy person, but I really enjoyed all these activities. Would have loved to have done horse riding.

Hi

I would recommend getting straight out of Reykjavik (possibly look around for a few hours) and stay in a different hotel around the SW/S of Iceland stopping off to see the sights on route, this way you will get to see more of the spectacular features there. most travel companies recommend this. Every local village has a geothermal pool so you will have plenty of opportunities for hot tubs etc wherever you go. I would try to get as far East as Jokulsarlon , a beautiful lake with icebergs floating in it (check the boat tours run though with it still being winter). I've been four times so am biased , but it's the physical geography of Iceland you should try and see! Have a brilliant time!

Hi we went to one of Reykjavik's municipal pools at Laugardalslaugin: an outdoor 50m pool and an outdoor fun pool (slides etc.) also an indoor one but i didn't try that. We went in the early evening after a full day out walking on a glacier (surprisingly gritty as covered with volcanic ash), it was September, the temperature was 9 - 10 centigrade outside, the leisure pool about 28c, and the 50m a little cooler for energetic swimming - it was bliss swimming in the setting sun. There are "hot pots" around the side where you can sit and get very hot. The changing rooms (women's anyway) are really clean, everyone must shower completely before getting in, (with a diagram showing which parts of the body must be washed!) and it's also very cheap. I loved it so much i went back the next evening.