Alleyns junior school any experience?

rmp12

I would be most grateful for some advice from people with children at Alleyns.

I'm waiting to hear my daughters assessment outcome, but just in case she is lucky enough to get a place, and I just want to be able to make a quick decision. She has just been very fortunate and received a place for 4+ entry at Wimbledon High, but the Alleyns outcome comes after the deadline for the WHS acceptance (the drive to WHS is 11 mins and 21 mins to Alleyns if no traffic-I work in East Dulwich and my husband went to Alleyns in secondary school, albet a while ago, hence why we are very keen! Distance I have considered so really want advice on the schools only please if possible!).

1. I found the girls at WHS very eloquent, confident and proud of their school-in fact quite a few said they 'loved' their school. This gave the impression that they were all very happy and really felt a sense of belonging. At Alleyn's the children were very polite and nice but they seemed quite shy and it was harder to gauge how happy they are? There was good feedback on the assessment day from parents, but I just wondered if there were any other people with experience there? Are the children happy? They looked a bit tired-are they overworked? The person showing us round made the fatal error of asking how many children were looking forward to their holiday (all of them) and how many were looking forward to coming back after holiday (silence, then 2 hands up!Maybe this is to be expected but it gave the wrong impression!!!).

2. Also, how much do they focus on your child as an individual at Alleyns? Also what is their approach to failure, or finding things difficult. I know for eg at WHS they stress the importance of failure, and risking by trying. What is the ethos at Alleyns in this regard?

3. How have people found the new head? Positive?

4. I don't have much of a sense of the senior school, but is there much in the way of any problems with drugs, eating disorders or underage activities in general (boys!)? I know there will be potential access in any school/parties etc, but just wanted to check there was no particular problem at Alleyns particularly in the senior school?

5. Previous mumsnet posts have portrayed Alleyn's as being mainly for celebs etc, hence the associated celeb culture and pitfalls and perhaps ignoring other children-is this really true? I would imagine you can get them at any good school so perhaps this is nothing to worry about?

6. My child is mixed race, do you think this would be a potential source of bullying there given at present it is still not as diverse as WHS?

8. Any thoughts if she is lucky enough to get into both what you might choose and why. Pros and cons. The girls at the WHS were overtly impressive, but Alleyn's really grew on me on each visit and obviously the facilities are incredible and it's co-educational (which I would much prefer)?

I think one can really overthink all of this, but any thoughts are most welcome on experience of either school!

Sorry, I have no experience of Alleyn's but I appreciate how difficult school decisions can be so I didn't want to read and run.

Is your job near Alleyn's guaranteed?

Will the school run to Alleyn's be totally on you because of the location?

Is the 11min drive to WHS worse/more awkward than the 21min drive to Alleyn's despite the shorter journey time?

Are there any disadvantages to WHS over Alleyn's?

If not, I would go for the former - a school nearer home is a major plus if all else are equal. Play dates will be easier, help from other parents with the school run, holiday child care share, evening/weekend events at school and, once your daughter is older, all the home sports fixtures/drama rehearsals/after school activities - esp if she needs to make her own way to and from school.

Good luck!

ETA: just re-read your post and I see you gas factored in distance so feel free to ignore all of the above!

My 3 went to Alleyn's - the youngest went there from 5-18 and they loved it.

Take no notice of the celeb culture (whatever that means) the school is really caring as are the children.

There's loads on offer in both parts of the school.

High academic standards but there's plenty of help if you're not top of the heap.