family bathroom renovation question

SE22mum

Hi

We're thinking of having our bathroom redone. Never done it since we moved in. Just wondering if any forumites had any tips/must-haves for a bathroom that can cope with family life as well as being stylish???

Also, is it just my imagination or do all baths come with plastic taps these days? I had lovely visions of an old bath with old fashioned metal taps...am I dreaming and being unpractical?

I think that you need to go to a showroom to work out what you like / want / what is likely to be in budget. Would recommend CP Hart at Waterlook (for browsing not purchasing - cheaper deals available elsewhere but its a great showroom with a good range of bathrooms).

Buying a bath - you can get in them to try for size (fully clothed but take your shoes off!) as it is amazing how much they vary. Did this myself, I have no shame. If you like the rolltop look could get one with a 'flat' rolltop as can put stuff on it e.g glass of something nice...

• 3 months later...
Getting heated floors for your bathroom is a good option.I have heated floors in my bathroom. Electric radiant heating systems are easier to install than heated water pipes. In underfloor heating the heat is distributed evenly. The air is warm when you need it and it cools when it reaches the ceiling. This is especially useful during the winter months. You can just refer this article for more information http://www.avonlearenovations.com/blog/home-renovations/5-things-to-consider-before-you-install-heated-floors/ .

We went to Bathrooms at Source in Wandsworth/Earlsfield - a gentleman called Travis was really helpful. However we did get talked into one of those push close/open plugs in the centre of the bath and the kids are forever stepping or sitting on it and letting the water out - fine for adults but a bit of a pain with kids! If you want tiles there is a good collection of shops behind IKEA in Croydon, drive past the entrance over the roundabout and turn left at the next roundabout where you will see a tile shop on the corner and there's another couple next to it.

Baths don't come with taps. How much are you looking to spend overall?

There are 3 things I'd recommend strongly:

1. Heated towel rail

2. Large mirrored medicine cabinet

3. Sink vanity unit with lots of storage

The storage is especially important if you will be using this bathroom as well as the kids.

If you can, get shelves inset into the wall as its a great place to store shampoo, soap etc.

Good luck

Make sure enough storage around the bath as well - if you're able to get a recessed niche in the wall when they're plastering then it's good option for storing shampoo/soap. Also make sure you get a good WC - we bought one for our loft that has a very silly design (the seat gets loose and the bowl is weirdly shaped which means the flush doesn't do the job the first time - sorry for TMI) - bloody annoying and not something I thought about at all! Also sit on the loo in the shop to ensure it's the right height for the adults. Get sink with enough countertop space (and possibly built in cabinets below sink). Check how the plug in the sink works (again, the one we got in our loft is push open/close - which means to open it you have to put your hand in dirty water - annoying!). Consider getting an electronic point for electric toothbrushes. Think about where toilet roll holder goes. Ensure enough clearance in bathroom from heated towel rail to avoid burnt bits when getting out of bath/drying yourself!

We designed and ordered our en suite bathroom with Marc at Bells on Lordship Lane and thought the design process and customer service was fantastic so would highly recommend booking an appointment with him to go through a potential design.

We just designed three of them..

some tips:

niches in all walls where allowable...

under sink vanity units for max storage,

floating toilet to give illusion of space using a steel frame

no bath taps -water comes out of overflow tap..

background led lights on PIR ( so they come on at night automatically)..

main lights are not connected to fan - so you can turn fan on and off as and when required..

in built ceiling speakers (just because I love music in the morning shower)