International EU student in a UK secondary school

spanners45

Hi All,

A bit of a curved ball. I have a friend from Spain who would like to enrol one of her children (aged 15) to study here in England for an academic year and has asked me to help. I have had a look online but it seems rather confusing at first glance so, while I carry on scouting the internet, I wondered if any EDFers have had experience with this or know of someone who has and could point me in the right direction.

Hugely appreciated.

Hi, I think it would be very difficult to do this with a 15-16 year old as this is year 11, GCSE year. If they are 16 before 31st August it may work for them to do a one year course at a 6th form college, depending on their interests. I don't know anything about the Spanish education system and whether a Spanish 16 year old would have any formal qualifications equivalent to GCSEs. There is Christ the King Aquinas College which is a 6th form college and LESOCO (Lewisham Southwark College) which is a further education establishment in the local area. 6th form colleges tend to be more structured and school like than further education colleges so may suit your friend's child better.

Renata

Thank you all. I think my friend is just keen to have her daughter to live in England and attend an English school in the hope that this will improve her language. Like you, I am concerned about the GCSE exams and the timing of it all as it is so different to the Spanish curriculum.

I will pass all this on. Hugely helpful, thank you.

spanners45 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you all. I think my friend is just keen to

> have her daughter to live in England and attend an

> English school in the hope that this will improve

> her language. Like you, I am concerned about the

> GCSE exams and the timing of it all as it is so

> different to the Spanish curriculum.

>

> I will pass all this on. Hugely helpful, thank

> you.

It may be worth them coming after 16, to be honest, where I think they would get the best of the education system that is most similar to the Spanish experience. A highly academic atmosphere with a strict uniform policy might seem superficially attractive to someone as some kind of proto-Hogwarts experience, but the first year in a sixth form would perhaps ensure they didn't have such a torrid time of it.