Nursery + Primary School Recommendations Please :)

J_S

My family and I are moving to the East Dulwich/Denmark Hill area and really need your help with regards to nursery and primary school recommendations. My son is 2.5 years old and I would need full-time care for him, whether that is full-time nursery or school or part-time mixed with Nanny. Moving from North London so any recommendations would be really appreciated it. Ideally it would be situated close to a train station so I can get to work, but am open to hearing all recommendations for a good nursery/school even if it means driving for drop off/pick up. Thank you so much. And do get in touch if you would like to meet another mum with a toddler. :)

Bessemer Grange. It's 10min walk from DH station and has a nursery for 2 year olds as well as breakfast and after school clubs. I can't praise the school enough and there are lots of parents on the ED Forum with children there. There's also Mother Goose nursery on Greendale, again about 10 mins from DH which I've heard good things about.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I would avoid Goose Green - the headteacher has changed last year and the school has taken a turn for the worse. Discipline is out of the window, severely unexperienced teachers, not counting last year's SATs.

Most schools organise open days - if you can attend you'll know the right school for you when you see it.

Good luck with your move.

Back to the original poster - it really depends where you are likely to live and where you will work for starters.

For pre/ school or nursery provision - in terms of state school nurseries there are 3 that I know of serving 'East Dulwich' : St Anthonys, Goose Green and Bessemer Grange. There are also a number of private day nurseries and then childminder options. I have an almost 3 year old in a private day nursery and have no plans to move her to state funded nursery in September as the hours wouldn't be suitable for my work so that's something to consider. There may be more on the Camberwell / Peckham sides of Denmark Hill but I don't know about these.

For primary schools the catchments are pretty small. Ofsted reports are probably a good starting point as is visiting some of the schools. Comments on the forum are broadly useful but bear in mind that that parents who 'love a school and recommend it' are generally basing it on their experience of that school only. Also - the usual features of internet postings apply - in that those with polarised opinions are much more likely to comment on anything.

Good luck.

Heber and Goodrich and Dog kennel Hill have nurseries too, most have transferred to the 2.5 day system (so two full school length days and one half day) with potential for top up (certainly Goose Green offer this, and I think Goodrich too).

Re schools, I've experienced three (one just at nursery level) and would say go on a tour, as that way you'll see the kids in situ. For me, things like how engaged the Headteacher was with the children during the tour was important, and how responsive (is it just a sales pitch or do they genuinely want to answer your questions) but as many well tell you, in this area it's more about aiming to get into any local school, many are so oversubscribed that I'm afraid it's not a case of being able to choose a favourite, though anecdotally some newly opened schools have eased pressure a bit. You get six options on your application form.

On Goose Green - I only have nursery experience there (excellent, I can't recommend it enough) but I do get to see quite a bit of the rest of the school in my dealings there and I have always thought it seems great.

Thank you to all who have replied, it is quite helpful as I wasn't even aware there were state nurseries. I would be looking for full-time care hence why I have only looked at private nurseries. I would need to get into central london so ideally I would like to be close to a train station.

Vik, I have heard good things about Mother Goose but unfortunately they are full.

Goldilocks, do you have any private nurseries you would recommend, where does your little one attend?

Does anyone have any experience with the new nursery Le Nid? Also, does anyone have any feedback with regards to Dog Kennel Hill?

They're all 'full' with the exception of 'le Nid' perhaps. Mine went /go to Nellys in W Dulwich (handy for tulse hill station) We are very happy with it, but it has a huge waiting list. Despite nurseries being full it is worth getting on waiting lists / chasing. FT places are v popular for the nursery themselves so definitely worth pursuing.

Thanks goldilocks. Yes Ive heard good things about Nellys and Piplings but unfortunately they are a bit far from our new house and ideally I would like a nursery within walking distance if possible. Put i will probably put his name on a few waiting list just in case.