Meningitis b vaccine

uzma

Hello,

I know currently a lot of the private clinics will have closed their waiting lists, but has anyone had their child recently vaccinated for Meningitis? my daughter is 3.5 years old and the current news coverage has pushed me to have her vaccinated.

Any recommendations of where I could try would be greatly appreciated! Do pharmacies have the ability to provide the injections by which a GP can inject?

Unfortunately it's not currently available privately as there is low stock for private use - these are being used to complete the dose for people who have already had the first vaccine. It will be available in the summer again so may be worthwhile trying to get onto a waiting list if you are still interested in getting the vaccine. CityDoc and the Health Hub are both local providers (CityDoc uses local pharmacies so these are all over London). You can't buy the injection to be administered by the GP as far as I am aware.

My now 3+ year old and my now 20 month old were given the first shot in August. Both reacted very strongly to the vaccine (intra-muscular so their arms were very sore - I deliberately asked for them in the left arm so it didn't impact too much). However they both had the chicken pox vaccines at the same time, which in hindsight wasn't smart on my part. Both had fever, younger one was throwing up her food - both known side effects.

Second time for each was just the Bexsero - older one was still under the weather and had a very sore arm. Younger one had it this weekend (ended up leaving far more than the 8 weeks between shots for various reasons) and she has been absolutely fine except for occasionally saying "ow" when her arm gets bumped.

I believe CityDoc's waiting lists are still open for May if you want to join.