Baby acne

sarahV

hello forum users

My 7 week old son has been having a red rashes which appear from nowhere spread along his cheek and like magic just disappear within a few hours, lately a few of the spots have remained and have become dry and quite sharp to the touch. My GP tells me it's baby acne which is normal and nothing to worry about, I have google baby acne and couldn't find any such condition.

I am become increasingly worried with this condition and was wondering if anyone has heard of baby acne or has experience anything like this with there own children

Thanks Sarah

Hi Sarah,

My son had 'acne' spots all over his face at about the same age. I was reassured that it was common, especially in boys, that it possibly relates to the mother's hormones in the baby's system and that it would clear - which it did, completely and without scarring. We were very careful not to touch it or pick at it in any way.

The only thing I would add however is that your description doesn't really match with the way my son's skin looked - it just looked like teenage spots and there was no fading away during the day - so it may be worth seeking out a second opinion.

The skin of babies in their first few months can change almost every day, influenced by many different factors - withdrawing hormones as per Emse above, reaction to general substances in the environment etc. Your baby's skin has previously not been exposed to much whilst floating around in amniotic fluid. Acne is completely normal and can come in lots of different guises...and can be quite fleeting or take a while to fade. Unsightly but nothing to worry about.