Nursery experienced with autism

mama79

I would assume that's all they have funds for, unfortunately

mama79 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks. We got some help from them to finally get

> her diagnosed but not much else available.

> Southwark unfortunatelly seems to think that 12

> hours of SALT for the whole 2015 will be just

> about enough for my little one...

It's always been difficult to get much speech therapy on NHS. My son is in secondary, not autism but a severe speech disorder, and we ended up having to get private weekly speech therapy for 2 years before school as he was only given one block on NHS. Then we chose a mainstream primary school that employed its own speech therapist (there are a few around). Puddleduck Nursery was experienced with SEN (Nunhead) back then, no idea now.

Also, not sure how old she is but some school nurseries are often better at getting support for children who need it, and understanding about early intervention.

Also try the Early Help service at Southwark Council, who are an early intervention and signposting service for newly diagnosed children:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200071/information_for_parents/2154/early_help_service

and contact your local Southwark NAS branch - they may be able to help, too.

Good luck

She is 3y2m old. It is very difficult to find a new nursery. Most of the local ones do only full days (she can't cope for more than 4-6h per day). The well trained/experienced ones have endless waiting lists and woudn't make any exeptions for her (surely that's their talant wasted?!). Our closest private school also wouldn't consired her-they are very selective what kids they wanna work with and I guess they want to keep their "elite" kids undisturbed.

All private SALT we have contacted so far charge around ?50 per hour. Not to mention the ?150 per hour ABA consultant that visited us and was very keen to get our business..

Oh, and let's also mention that on the first day of my (totally basic) parents course the therapist rushed to mention their private practice. NHS jobs are a great platform to get cients, hey??

Do only kids from rich families stand a chance!??

Southwark have done nothing much so far.. And our daughter is slowly slipping away..

Good to know,thank you. I will organise a visit there asap.

We are coming around the idea to put most of our income in ABA and private SALT. I am still not the biggest fan of ABA but I can't see other way to prepare her for big school. At 2.5y she was at the level of 12-18mo and now barely any better. When I raised my worries that my kid doesn't get enough hours (12 for a whole year as I mentioned before), our NHS therapist was arrogant enough to suggest we were given lots of strategies to use at home (2 minutes stacking blocks and a basic baby puzzle during her sessions I guess would arm anyone with all the knowledge we could hope for!)

Mama79, when I said school nurseries, I definitely did not mean private schools. I mean the nurseries in state schools - you can get a place the term after your child is 3, but also you could ask to join now because of your daughter's diagnosis. As the above posters suggested Bessemer Grange or Heber, but there are many others good with SEN, eg Dog Kennel Hill and also Rye Oak School has an autism unit. I'm not sure what your closest school is but try calling round to all the school nurseries in your area and see which one seems most welcoming and experienced with SEN. Many do half-days but would be happy to do half-days for your child anyway. They will have connections with Southwark's SEN department and, if your child has significant enough SEN, the school can apply for extra resources to help your child and in the future, possibley an EHC Plan assessment (what was a Statement of Education).

(also, if you find a private nursery, children with SEN or from disadvantaged background have a right to free place at nursery from age 2 btw)

I used to get driven mad when we ever got any new speech therapy block, the therapist would always get the bubbles out. Bubbles are great but not every time! There are lots of strategies to do at home, and I think what we did was see a private speech therapist every 2-3 weeks, then do more at home ourselves. We couldn't really afford it but we just had to. There are some good books out there, too, on how to communicate and encourage play with children with SEN, autism, etc, and on internet.

If you want any further info, please feel free to pm me.

How old is your kid, if you don't mind me asking? I wander if Alexa's development can just take off one day.. For now, I can say she is as she was 12-18months ago. The more I learn and try to use some strategies at home the less she seems to be interested. Socially she struggles a lot. Her nursery is full but she is so used to not mixing with the kids that she doesn't have any need to approach or play along any other kids elsewhere.

I am so confused.. I thought gentle, mora natural way with her is the best, following her lead.. But that takes us nowhere as she is so limitted in what she does and not willing to concentrate. I am now thinking that ABA could be for her. So "called dog training" was never sth I thought I would ever concider, but I just can't see what else I can try..

My son is 3 years and 2 months and has been undergoing an ABA programme since September last year. He is still non verbal, but his concentration has improved dramatically as have his social skills. His ABA tutor attends his nursery 4 days a week and he has 2 hours at home on the day he isn't at nursery. The new ABA approach certainly isn't "Pavlov dog" training. My son's programme is learning through play.It is expensive, but for us, has definitely been worth it.

We also found out through ABA that our son knew a lot more than we anticipated (the alphabet, colours etc)

It is tough, as it is hard to know what to do for the best. Have you attended any of the early years courses offered by Southwark?

Hi Mama79, have you looked at St Mary's Pre-school in Nunhead? (It's on St Mary's Road) This is open from 9-12 Monday to Friday, it's a mainstream pre-school but the staff have special needs training eg I don't know if they still all do, but the staff were proficient in sign language.

Renata

Hey mama79,

Hope your doing ok this Mother's Day!

I know it all feels terrifying right now - but try to hang in there!

My son was diagnosed too when he was 2 and I've lived in East Dulwich for a long time so know a few contacts and bits of help that would be my pleasure to pass onto you. I've not had the means to pay for any private help for my boy - so everything has been through our amazing council. It can be done!

If you'd like to meet for a coffee sometime - let me know. My boy is at school now, so I have time usually during the school day to meet :)

Best,

Jooles

Hi Jooles.

Mother's day wasn't great for me as the attention was directed to my mother-in-law who just recovered from a surgery (and doing great) but demanding all the attention. As always...

Never mind, hope your day was special.

I am currently contacting and viewing as many schools and nurseries as possible. Today I went as far as Fulham. I just find all this depressing and exhausting. I know it can't be all bad for everybody but I am just losing hope in people and institutions..

How old is your little one? You are more than welcome to come over for coffee - bebz does nursery mornings only. It is easier to talk without her around if you wanna meet up somewhere else. Just give me a day or two notice

Milena