Some holiday advice - Cognac

Hello. We have booked an Air BnB in Breville, Cognac. We're travelling with two children, age 5 and 6 and are struggling to decide on how best to get there. Options are to either drive and have a stop off on the way, maybe a day or two somewhere, or else to fly into Bordeaux and get a car hire.

If anyone has any experience of this part of France, we'd really appreciate your thoughts, either on how best to get there, or for nice places to stop off, or visit near by. Thanks

We went to that area a couple of summers ago, near Matha. We went via Calais and drove. It was a LONG drive. Lots of audio books got us there. We stopped off overnight in Le Mans - which was functional but that's all. If doing it again I'd try to get the ferry to St Malo or Caen or somewhere to reduce the drive or maybe a longer break en route and stay somewhere nice. Or fly, if you don't need too much kit.

We were at a gite so most of our time was there or going more towards the coast. It seemed more of an area to pootle around rather than having lots of family activities. But we're not always the best at unearthing the hidden gems so maybe others can tell you more.

We stayed near Cognac last year. We got a flight from Gatwick to La Rochelle and drove - I think it is about a 1.5 hour drive or maybe under an hour I can't quite remember. Motorways so smooth and driving really easy.

The flight to La Rochelle is so quick (think it is about 1 hour and 20 mins) and flights when we booked last year in May half term were very reasonable on Easyjet and at good times of the day. La Rochelle airport is tiny which in some ways is good as you don't have to navigate loads of walking to get to your terminal. You literally get off the plane, go into the terminal and then within about 100m you are at the car hire area once you've got your luggage.

I would recommend a trip to La Rochelle Zoo with your kids it is amazing - one of best zoos we have been to and a great day out. There is also a fantastic playground by the river in Cognac which we used on some days to entertain for the odd hour. Also we spent one morning at one of the local towns (can't remember what it was called) when they had a farmers market - it was fascinating for the kids as there were lots of animals there for sale (bunnies, chickens, goats etc), v eye opening. And of course lots of amazing cheese to taste.

I would add it was more expensive than I expected (i.e. cost of supermarket food etc). Memories of my own childhood summer holidays to France because it was 'cheap' seem to be a distant memory!

Make sure your husband takes Speedos and your son too (if you have a boy) - we took a trip to a local swimming pool and my son and husband had to 'borrow' some Speedos at the leisure centre as they don't allow swimming shorts.

Enjoy - we would definitely go back if not least because the journey via La Rochelle is so quick and easy (we live in Beckenham so Gatwick quite an easy drive for us, that always helps!)