Advice re family ski-ing holiday for next year with teens (complete beginners)

So, I ski-ied as a young woman and just loved, loved, loved it. Then I met my non-ski-ing husband and we swiftly had several children who emptied our bank account - expensive little creatures aren't they? Anyway one year led into another and I watched my friends and neighbours go off to the slopes with a sad heart but we never managed to fund a trip, and now my 'baby' is in secondary school and finally, finally we are in a position to consider a budget family ski holiday for next year.

But...

I'm a bit lost. The choice seems overwhelming. I was thinking France (easy to get to), probably self catering (budget), but where to go? Would we would need a good ski school, or to book a ski instructor for us all as a group? Where should I look for cheap(ish) ski-wear? Any advice as to where to go, or good companies to book with would be gratefully received. Thx

Ski-wear: try either decathlon or H&M (they sell skiwear as they are a Swedish brand but you have to buy early in the season as they tend to run out.) Possibly also TK Maxx.

We went to Andorra a few years ago which was good for beginners. Can't remember who we booked through though.

Yes, every year pretty much since I was born. Have a look at Are and Salen and if interested in Norway Hemsedal. All beautiful places, very nice lodges (makes self catering a pleasure) and plenty of good ski schools. The journey there might be less straightforward than to France though.

Just thought Id put a "wild card" in the mix😉

Hello - we always go to France, and usually get a catered chalet. We have used a variety of package (flight and chalet) or chalet only and get flights yourself deals. Are you looking to go in half term? It gets super busy - we've already booked for next year! Ski school also gets booked up - we try and avoid esf and look for independent British run ski schools as they usually have better teacher/pupil ratio - but less of a worry with older kids I imagine!

Resorts in France we like are Morzine and the ports du soleil area generally - really easy transfer from Geneva and lots of ski school options. Last year we stayed in Les gets with a company called Reach 4 the Alps. This year we were in Courcheval 1650 with a company called Le Ski. Next year we're going to Morzine with a co called Chilli Powder - looks good for the kids with a games room etc.

Also - you need to decide whether to ski or snowboard! The kids might want to snowboard? There are some great British snowboard instructors in various French resorts that I could recommend...obviously it's way cooler to snowboard....😀😀