wanted: singing teacher for young boy.

I'm looking for a singing teacher for my almost 8 year old son. He's really into popular/chart music and would like to learn singing rather than a musical instrument. I'm keen to find someone that can teach him the fundamentals of music through singing, and the sorts of songs that he likes (rather than classical or through being in a choir). Ideally it would be a male teacher, but it doesn't have to be. We live in Sydenham and can't cope with travelling to far for lessons, so either someone locally or who can come to our house.

Any got any personal experiences or recommendations?

thanks

Nicky.

Thanks for that recommendation. I haven't heard of Musico South, but it sounds interesting. It's a pity there is an upfront fee of ?45, but as it's for the whole family and one-off, it could well be worth it, as I have 3 kids, and possible interest in myself brushing up my piano skills.

Choir singing is a lot of fun and you learn a lot of musical skills through taking part. Also, a good choir leader will be able to suggest further appropriate musical opportunities and probably an individual tutor. Also, they don't necessarily sing only classical repertoire. See this repertoire page of a great local children's choir for one example http://www.beckenhamjuniorchoir.co.uk/our-history.html?id=55

I don't disagree, i just know that i would find it hard to convey this to my son in order for him to agree to try such things. Plus, it's not easy fitting in and getting to these afterschool activities , especially if it's only for 1 out of 3 children. Thanks again, as i had not heard of that particular children's choir.