Ikea Kitchens - has anyone got any experience?

Hi,

We are starting the arduous task of getting a new kitchen and wondering if anyone has any experience of IKEA kitchens? Their website looks quite comprehensive but wondering if it will stand the test of time? We want something midrange I guess, but haven't got a fixed budget yet.

Would love to know your thoughts, or any experiences positive or negative.

Cheers

I've just had an IKEA kitchen installed. It looks good but the process has been utterly painful.

One of the problems is that IKEA doesn't have a good handle on their deliveries. In the words of my husband, "I wouldn't recommend IKEA to anyone who has a job". Expect delays, deliveries coming on the wrong days, and IKEA treating your place as a warehouse, taking weeks to come and collect items you want to return.

I also wouldn't recommend their quartz worktops. The supplier is terrible. Their guys managed to leave a tap open, flooding my downstairs neighbours as a result. And the work was shoddy. They had to come back and re-install. The compensation process was tortuous and I ended up falling out with IKEA over it.

So, all in all, while I'm happy with the end result, it's been painful, time-consuming and I'm resolute never to set foot in an IKEA store ever again.

Go to Howdens instead.

I installed on myself about 15 years ago and it still looks great. I didn't have any of the issues Monkey experienced because we didn't get the kitchen delivered (I don't know if it's still possible to collect it yourself) or have a fancy work top, so we installed it ourselves too. Wickes of Howdens or an independent carpenter are probably better mid-range options though. IKEA is great for cheap DIY options instead.

We had an Ikea kitchen fitted last year so can't comment on the longevity. We are happy with the units. Very good value for money. Didn't have any of the issues described by monkey but we didn't use ikea fitters and also got out worktop elsewhere (Granite Zone). There were two items missing in the delivery so I had to call ikea and get them delivered later but this was a smooth process. You will have to buy an ikea dishwasher if you want an integrated one. Other white goods can be purchased elsewhere.

we have installed 2 ikea kitchens and have been happy.

but we haven't done delivery - we went and got it - and had to make several trips.

but worth it to save the money in our opinion.

and installed it ourselves and got the worktop from an independent company.

edited to say we got a few more interesting bits and pieces e.g. a rolling corner cupboard. but they have brought out loads of new designs since then so not sure its necessary!

had an IKEA kitchen some 15/20 years ago. After about 10 years the melamine coating started peeling off (I have the blue/green finish). It turned out that following a TV programme that some of the ranges had a design fault and people were urged to go back to IKEA for replacement. Unfortunately when I went back, they had discontinued my colour range and could not get any replacement doors. I am now in the process of having all the doors repainted.

Apart from these peeling problem, I have been very happy with the units.

Thanks to all for your feedback! We're going to have a look at Howdens but I guess now starts the question of finding a reliable builder and someone who is available soon ish!

If you've worked with a reliable builder or kitchen fitter that you would recommend, then please do share their contacts.

Thanks a lot!

Highly recommend Puccini Kitchens so far. We have recently ordered a kitchen with him that will be installed in April. You can get a bespoke kitchen with Andrew for a very reasonable price comparable to Magnet/Howdens type prices. Can't speak for the end result but it's been a good process and we have friends who got one and are pleased.

It's a home based business so he comes to you with samples which is very convenient. He is in the process of setting up a store front in Brockley so not sure how much longer that service will last.

http://puccinikitchens.co.uk

-A

I wouldn't have an IKEA kitchen you have to fit them all

together and if any thing is missing or damage you have to wait for it

to be delivered or go and collect it, if it's in stock.

If you have a builder to fit remember he's going to charge

for the extra time of fitting it together etc.

I would go with a ready assembled kitchen if you have a builder

fitting it then he has access to trade companies.

Good Luck