scavenger hunt - any experience?

canela

Hello

I'm planning to organise a scavenger hunt for a 10th birthday party, and wondered if anyone had any experience of putting one on. What kind of things to put on the list? How difficult should it be?

any advice welcome!

We did a treasure hunt for our daughter's birthday last year (age 8). It was really good fun - took LOADS of preparation which frankly I'm not sure was fully appreciated as all the kids whizzed round the clues in about 10 seconds flat, but I actually rather enjoyed coming up with all the ideas and I do think they all had a good time. The one thing I'd say is that it did take much less time than I thought because they were all literally racing from one clue to the next (we went round East Dulwich in a circular route) so when we got back to our house we were a bit shocked to see the party still had an hour and a half left to run!

We hid clues around the route rather than an actual scavenger hunt so we did a variety of picture clues, word puzzles, secret passwords to say to shopkeepers, that sort of thing. I'd pitch it quite hard just to slow them down, otherwise the ones who get to the clue first just race off to the next one immediately if they don't have to stop and think about it a bit. Have fun (and pray for good weather)!