Child obesity survey - Unannounced home visits

Monkey

Anyone else having had visits from (NHS?) people carrying out a child obesity survey and wanting to measure and weigh your children at home?

They came to us for a fourth time in a number of weeks today and I'm starting to get a bit spooked by it.

I wonder if it could be the Health Survey for England http://www.hscic.gov.uk/healthsurveyengland which looks at child weight etc among other things. This is separate to the National Child Measurement programme that takes place in schools. We haven't had a visit for this but have been visited by Office for National Statistics before - in that case if you are one of their randomly selected households they are pretty persistent.

Thanks, edanna. I'll look into this. Hubby didn't get details from them and they didn't leave anything behind. They said we should have had two letters, which I can't find anywhere.

I'm starting to wonder if it has anything to do with me opting out of the national child measurement programme ... But that was a good two years ago...

I've never heard of anything called the child obesity survey. Were they there to see your child in particular (ie, by name), or were they collecting general information on random children?

There is something called the National Child Measurement Program, which is conducted through schools. http://www.hscic.gov.uk/ncmp

I've never heard of them making home visits for the NCMP. The data is collected through schools with the parents' consent. Participation is not compulsory. A child's height and weight is considered sensitive personal medical data, and it would need to be collected by a health professional.

Were the visits preceded by any verbal or written contact? And if so, what affiliation did the person give?

In addition to contacting the police, you may want to speak with your child's school and your GP/HV.

I share your curiosity and concern, wanting to know if anyone else has had a similar experience -- seems rather odd. xx

Thanks, Saffron. I've not got all the information such as exact affiliation, survey name etc... First time they called in, hubby had a fairy long conversation with them and the subsequent three times he's been very short with them.

The guys knocking on our door said we should have received two letters prior to their visit but I can't find these letters anywhere. And it's definitely my daughter they want to see. In fairness, they've offered an appointment but when we turned it down, asked if she was available now (!)

My GP is as puzzled and concerned as I am. Southwark Council's teams as well. Police have made a note of it. And I'll be speaking to the school at the beginning of term.

All a bit of a mystery!

Why would HSfE only want to see a particular child? I thought they collected information on all the household members as a unit?

Plus, isn't most of their data collection survey-based? They'd only send a clinical professional to collect personal measurements once you'd been interviewed and agreed to participate, surely? And if you don't agree, then they can just bugger off!

DH thought this could be some bizarre CPS mix-up with another family, re child at risk of obesity-related issues ... but then why would they say it's a survey? And why wouldn't your GP know? And, surely anyone with a welfare concern would clearly identify themselves as from the HV/CPS/etc, no? It doesn't make sense.

A mystery indeed! And a dodgy/unprofessional one too!

Finally went to the bottom of it. It was the Health for England Survey as part of their Child Boost Survey.

In fairness, they dealt with me very well today and called me straight back, promising I wouldn't be contacted again. The survey's based on random postcode selection - they're looking to measure and weigh children between the age of 2 and 15.

Thank you all for your invaluable advice!

Nothing to do with data security for me, LM. I fundamentally and professionally disagree with the calculation that is used to derive BMI for children. It's different to the adult formula (which some people also believe is problematic). You can google various math nuts giving different interpretations, should you need a cure for insomnia.

I also don't want my daughter measured without me there. My daughter is very tall for her age, I already have enough trouble with her starting to be self-conscious, without it being compounded by some well-meaning but ultimately interfering government initiative. I don't want my daughter to focus from an early age on her height and weight as arbitrors of health. I'd rather she learn good diet and exercise. xx

I think too much data kills common sense.

Also had my data stolen in the past, which caused me no end of problems. And when I see how I was treated by health survey England, to whom the government entrusted data about my child, I'm going to be even more careful in future.

I would also be concerned - it's measured at school anyway, so I would not welcome a home visit at all.

If it were to be agreed in advance then would remove element of surprise but cold calling seems rather strange.

How about it if it were a survey to measure adult blood pressure? There are enough random doot knockers as it is.

Would ED welcome that?